Sean_A_M
Sean_A_M, Network Administrator
Experience:  Experienced in routers,modems,network cables, wifi
74914698

My netgear nighthawk appears intermittent it my devices

Customer Question

My netgear nighthawk appears intermittent it my devices being able to se it?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular NETGEAR router?
Customer: It is new I have installed them before and managed a good size network I would not claim to be a pro but I have a fair understanding It has been installed for 2 weeks But my wireless devices can not always find it
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I plugged in a new wire to the switch
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have shut it down Restarted computers
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Unplugged the new switch From the netgear it appears to be working but devices no
Category: Networking
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I would like to try to help

Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 2 months ago.

Just so I am clear, this is a new router, 2 weeks old, and your wireless keeps dropping ? I see you mentioned you plugged a new wire in.....did this happen before the wire was connected ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It happened within minutes afterward
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 2 months ago.

OK I would like to you check something. Please trace the wire you plugged in. Make sure you did not either plug the switch/router into ITSELF or do not have 2 connections to the same device.

(ie meaning you could have 2 cables going to the router from another switch or modem instead of just one.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One cable from the Internet connection on the router to the switch and one for data from the router to the switch
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 2 months ago.

Your internet connection, is this a cable modem/dsl modem ? Does the internet connection have only 1 port (internet) or does it have more than 1 ? (for instance Internet/WAN, and 1,2,3,4) ?

Is the only thing connected to the internet source the nighthawk or do you have other devices connected ?

How many connections are on the nighthawk ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One cable from the router for internet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One for data
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2 cables from the router total
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 2 months ago.

One moment please - OK I have an idea. Please call me at ***-***-**** and this may go quicker- no extra fee

Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 2 months ago.

OK from our phone conversation it appears you are working after removing the 2nd redundant switch connection to the .from the gigabit switch to your nighthawk. Please let me know if you need any additional help and please do not forget to Rate my call so I can be reimbursed. Thank you and have a good night