Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

We have a small network and a number of applications running

Customer Question

We have a small network and a number of applications running from a Windows Server 2012R2 server. One user was unexpectedly cut off from all the other servers. So she rebooted her computer. When It came back up, the icons for the network-based applications were greyed. She rebooted a second time. This time she received an error message saying there was an attempted network breach and she was forced to login to all the servers, which she did. Seeing greyed out icons, she again rebooted. This time, she connected to all the servers automatically, but the icons for network applications are still greyed out. Even reinstalling those applications, she still gets greyed-out icons. How does she get those icons back? There are three other users on the network and none of us has this problem!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard Freese replied 2 months ago.

Hello. If all these icons point to applications on the network, you should probably run some tests of the network connectivity on the problem machine. Oe would be to open a browser and see if they can access the internet from that PC. Were there any errors on the affected user's computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She can run anything from that computer, including the applications, email, Web access. Just don't have the icons. none of them.

Okay. I'm confused. Are the icons present and just greyed out or are they just gone from the desktop? And what OS is she running on that system?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry. The desktop shows the generic shortcut without the icon, so you can only tell what you're running by reading the label. She runs Windows 7 Pro as do we all. If she looks at the properties for those shortcuts, and clicks change icon, the correct icon shows up as a choice, but when you select it and apply, it remains at the generic shortcut.

Alright. Something is corrupted here. Try creating a new shortcut icon for one icons that is greyed out and let's see if that works. Don't clone the icon. Create a new one using all the same settings. And then have her try accessing/running it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did. Doesn't work no matter how I try setting it up.

Okay. Someone may have (inadvertently) hidden those folders/files and have explorer set to show hidden/system files/folders. You might want to right click each file just to make sure that they're not 'hidden'. That's normally the case for greyed out folders/icons/files.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope, that's not it. When you choose hidden, the shortcut is shown much lighter but the icon still shows on the shortcut.

See if Google's "picasa" is installed on that PC.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I said the icons ARE NOT greyed out. I misspoke at first. The shortcuts are just the generic Windows shortcuts with NO icons. As for picasa, how do I tell if it's installed? Never heard of it.