Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Apple TV 4 Won't Connect to internet Via Ethernet, But Will…

Apple TV 4 Won't...

Apple TV 4 Won't Connect to internet Via Ethernet, But Will With WiFi

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried unplugging your router for about ten seconds? And what about other devices? Do they have connectivity?

Yes, I have tried to reboot many times the router, the apple tv and the switch.

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

What?

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Tried to connect the apple TV through wifi and then plug in the Ethernet cable reset apple tv to factory settings

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?

Tried to create static ip address

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/22/2017
Nathan, System Administrator

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

You mentioned a switch here,

have you tried, at least temporarily, bypassing the switch and see if the atv ethernet will work direct to the router?

no difference.

When was the atv purchased?
Do you get any error messages, or is it just not recognizing the network at all?
Or does it connect to the lan but not the wan?

Maybe 2 years ago.
It recognizes the network, but not the internet connection

Okay that is more likely a routing issue than anything else then,

you can try on the atv itself, or in your router setup, changing your dns address to 8.8.8.8 (secondary of 8.8.4.4) and see if that helps.

If you were trying a static IP, do that assignment on the router rather than the atv, and in doing so make sure you are assigning it for the mac address of the ethernet adapter, not the wifi.

Nathan, System Administrator
Right. Let's go slowly here.Right now, the Apple TV is connected to the network via wifi.I will plug in the Ethernet cable and tell you the response
Richard Freese
Richard Freese, System Administrator

Hello and welcome. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to assist you

Please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you. Also please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

So, have you connected the cable to the switch and ATV? What happens?

The network connection changed from my wifi to "Ethernet: connected ", however the IP address given is 169.254.149.85 which I understand is an Apple TV self given address, not one from my router, therefore won't connect to the internet.

SO, now you need to request an ip from the router via DHCP. Let me see if I can get into my ATV so I can show you where to set it up.

Okay. I cannot find my remote to my ATV and my iPad won't connect to it. But Hang on. I have an idea.

There should be an option to get ip address automatically. The router should be listening for a DHCP request and then assign it.

I just rebooted the router and Apple TV.The Apple TV does not show up on the list of dynamic DHCP clients and the Apple TV still has the self appointed address 169...
The router is set to "Enable DHCP server"

So, if that is not not working, set up your DHCP to exclude maybe 5 ip ip address by setting the DHCP range and then configure you ATV for static ip.

Correction, after refreshing the router screen, the ATV appears in the List of Dynamic DHCP clients, but it's the old identification with the wifi MAC address, with a different last digit than what I see on the ATV right now and the self appointed IP address.

So, it's MAC address that's the culprit. Cane you modify the MAC on the router side? What brand and model number is ***** router?

D-link DIR-645
I can not edit the MAC address, unless I create a static address.

Do that. Create a static ip from the DHCP exclusion range and then create a static ip linking to the ethernet MAC address.

Ok. And then I replicate that on the ATV?

Yes

It look like it has an ether connection now. Have you tried the ATV to see if it's on the net?

No connection to internet
Should I reboot both router and ATV?

Yes. Now that it has ethernet. If you can disable wireless on the ATV before you reboot, do it.

How does on disable the wifi on the ATV?

Not sure. But since you have an ethernet cable attached, it should choose that first.

There is no way to disable wifi once Ethernet connection is selected.Rebooting...

That's what I thought. But it will use the ethernet connection.

No internet connection.

Do you have a PC on the net? can we run a trace route to that ip address? In windows it's "tracers 192.168.0.118" on mac, it's "treacroute 192.168.0.118"

Where do I give that command?

Are you on a PC or Mac?

Pc

What version of Windows? 7, 8, 10?

10 pro

I search at bottom type cmd and this should give you a command prompt.

Oops. Sorry it's "tracert 192.168.0.118"

Okay, run "ipconfig/all" on your PC and paste this screen.

Rick, I need 15 minutes to get my kid. Will be back asap.

Okay. So now try "ping 192.168.0.118" Okay do this when you come back

I am back

Okay. So am I. What happened with the ping from your PC?

Look above

So, we should probably reset the ATV to factory defaults. You will need iTunes on your PC. Go to iTunes.com and download and install iTunes for PC. And then follow these instructions.

How to Factory Reset an Apple TV

• Disconnect your Apple TV from your TV.
  • On the back of the Apple TV is a micro-usb port. ...
  • Once connected, open iTunes. ...
  • You will now have the option to restore your Apple TV.
  • Click “Restore Apple TV…” The restore will take approximately ten minutes after which you’ll have a factory reset device.

What's happening is that these devices get totally stupid and have to go back to factory setting. And once the ethernet cable is connected, it should go through the setup using ethernet. I think this is the only way to resolve this because there is a resister that sill has a setting that needs to be refreshed. Try this one let me know what happens.

Should I follow these instructions or do a factory reset from the ATV menu and then sign back in. I have done this latest procedure 2 or 3 times before, I have no specific data on the ATV.

Do what works best for your situation. The idea is to wipe clean and start from scratch.

I do not have a micro USB cable, proceeding to unplug the hdmi cable from the ATV and factory reset...

Okay. Will be here.

To set up the ATV, I have a choice between "set up with device" or "Set up manually".When I setup with my iPhone 7, the setup fails because I get an error message on my phone that says something like "connect to the wifi to setup the ATV".Proceeding to setup manually.
I reconnected the hdmi to the tv and the Ethernet cable obviously.
I get "no network detected" error message
I can not go any further.
Rick, my wife calls me, I will be back in 25 minutes.
Additional message: no network connection, your network isn't connected to the internet.

Go be with your family. The have priority. You and I both know that the internet is alive and well. It's the piece of crap Apple TV that's refusing to play with he rest of the team. You may be stuck with wireless and Shame on Apple for making it so difficult to work with SECURE WIRED networks. I am available but I have family to be with too. I will help yogurt this going. No worries. Let me know when you are ready to engage again.

the ATV is not picking up an internet signal from the Ethernet cable

Looks like it wants to use wireless regardless of the connectivity. Ugh ! Are you looking to try an improve performance by using a wired connection?

there is buffering with the wifi
I am back.
to go forward with the serup, I can go to manual setting where I seeEthernet
Configure IP> Automatic
IP Address 169...So, the ATV sees the Ethernet cable, but assigns a self proclaimed IP address, which leads to not being recognized by the router.
now, I must configure the IP address manually to the same as before.

Yes. That's apparently what's going on. I will continue to work with you on this. I would like to remote in and take a look at your router settings. This may be the culprit. Let me know.

Once this IP configuration is entered, I get an error message : no network connection, your network isn't connected to the internet.So the proper IP settings are inserted, but the ATV does not communicate to the router via Ethernet.
Ok, you can come in

I shouldn't matter. It should connect via ethernet. I believe that the ATV is confused and can't make up it's mind because it used wireless and it is still enabled so it is trying to use instead on the wired connection.

We have to fool it into using only the wired connection.