Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Apple TV 4 Won't Connect to internet Via Ethernet, But Will

Apple TV 4 Won't Connect to internet Via Ethernet, But Will With WiFi
JA: Have you tried unplugging your router for about ten seconds? And what about other devices? Do they have connectivity?
Customer: yes, I have tried to reboot many times the router, the apple tv and the switch.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: what?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried to connect the apple TV through wifi and then plug in the Ethernet cable reset apple tv to factory settings
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: tried to create static ip address

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

You mentioned a switch here,

have you tried, at least temporarily, bypassing the switch and see if the atv ethernet will work direct to the router?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no difference.

When was the atv purchased?
Do you get any error messages, or is it just not recognizing the network at all?
Or does it connect to the lan but not the wan?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Maybe 2 years ago.
It recognizes the network, but not the internet connection

Okay that is more likely a routing issue than anything else then,

you can try on the atv itself, or in your router setup, changing your dns address to 8.8.8.8 (secondary of 8.8.4.4) and see if that helps.

If you were trying a static IP, do that assignment on the router rather than the atv, and in doing so make sure you are assigning it for the mac address of the ethernet adapter, not the wifi.

Nathan, System Administrator
Experience: IT systems admin, network installer
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Right. Let's go slowly here.Right now, the Apple TV is connected to the network via wifi.I will plug in the Ethernet cable and tell you the response

Hello and welcome. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to assist you

Please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you. Also please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

So, have you connected the cable to the switch and ATV? What happens?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The network connection changed from my wifi to "Ethernet: connected ", however the IP address given is 169.254.149.85 which I understand is an Apple TV self given address, not one from my router, therefore won't connect to the internet.

SO, now you need to request an ip from the router via DHCP. Let me see if I can get into my ATV so I can show you where to set it up.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a shot of my router when the ATV was connected through wifi
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a shot of the ATV network screen after connecting the Ethernet cable.Wrong up address
Wrong subnet
No router or dns
Different last digit on the MAC address

Okay. I cannot find my remote to my ATV and my iPad won't connect to it. But Hang on. I have an idea.

There should be an option to get ip address automatically. The router should be listening for a DHCP request and then assign it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just rebooted the router and Apple TV.The Apple TV does not show up on the list of dynamic DHCP clients and the Apple TV still has the self appointed address 169...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The router is set to "Enable DHCP server"

So, if that is not not working, set up your DHCP to exclude maybe 5 ip ip address by setting the DHCP range and then configure you ATV for static ip.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correction, after refreshing the router screen, the ATV appears in the List of Dynamic DHCP clients, but it's the old identification with the wifi MAC address, with a different last digit than what I see on the ATV right now and the self appointed IP address.

So, it's MAC address that's the culprit. Cane you modify the MAC on the router side? What brand and model number is ***** router?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
D-link DIR-645
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can not edit the MAC address, unless I create a static address.

Do that. Create a static ip from the DHCP exclusion range and then create a static ip linking to the ethernet MAC address.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. And then I replicate that on the ATV?

Yes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Router: Ethernet up address in the reservations list, the wifi IP address still shows up below
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ATV Ethernet connection

It look like it has an ether connection now. Have you tried the ATV to see if it's on the net?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No connection to internet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I reboot both router and ATV?

Yes. Now that it has ethernet. If you can disable wireless on the ATV before you reboot, do it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How does on disable the wifi on the ATV?

Not sure. But since you have an ethernet cable attached, it should choose that first.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no way to disable wifi once Ethernet connection is selected.Rebooting...

That's what I thought. But it will use the ethernet connection.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I internet connection.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No internet connection.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Router Page: ATV on the reservation list
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ATV network connection page
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ping test of ip address shows no response

Do you have a PC on the net? can we run a trace route to that ip address? In windows it's "tracers 192.168.0.118" on mac, it's "treacroute 192.168.0.118"

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where do I give that command?

Are you on a PC or Mac?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pc

What version of Windows? 7, 8, 10?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
10 pro

I search at bottom type cmd and this should give you a command prompt.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
34;Tracers" not a valid command

Oops. Sorry it's "tracert 192.168.0.118"

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Destination host unreachable

Okay, run "ipconfig/all" on your PC and paste this screen.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ipconfig/all results
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Rick, I need 15 minutes to get my kid. Will be back asap.

Okay. So now try "ping 192.168.0.118" Okay do this when you come back

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ping results
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am back

Okay. So am I. What happened with the ping from your PC?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Look above

So, we should probably reset the ATV to factory defaults. You will need iTunes on your PC. Go to iTunes.com and download and install iTunes for PC. And then follow these instructions.

How to Factory Reset an Apple TV

• Disconnect your Apple TV from your TV.
  • On the back of the Apple TV is a micro-usb port. ...
  • Once connected, open iTunes. ...
  • You will now have the option to restore your Apple TV.
  • Click “Restore Apple TV…” The restore will take approximately ten minutes after which you’ll have a factory reset device.

What's happening is that these devices get totally stupid and have to go back to factory setting. And once the ethernet cable is connected, it should go through the setup using ethernet. I think this is the only way to resolve this because there is a resister that sill has a setting that needs to be refreshed. Try this one let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I follow these instructions or do a factory reset from the ATV menu and then sign back in. I have done this latest procedure 2 or 3 times before, I have no specific data on the ATV.

Do what works best for your situation. The idea is to wipe clean and start from scratch.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not have a micro USB cable, proceeding to unplug the hdmi cable from the ATV and factory reset...

Okay. Will be here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To set up the ATV, I have a choice between "set up with device" or "Set up manually".When I setup with my iPhone 7, the setup fails because I get an error message on my phone that says something like "connect to the wifi to setup the ATV".Proceeding to setup manually.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I reconnected the hdmi to the tv and the Ethernet cable obviously.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I get "no network detected" error message
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can not go any further.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Rick, my wife calls me, I will be back in 25 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Additional message: no network connection, your network isn't connected to the internet.

Go be with your family. The have priority. You and I both know that the internet is alive and well. It's the piece of crap Apple TV that's refusing to play with he rest of the team. You may be stuck with wireless and Shame on Apple for making it so difficult to work with SECURE WIRED networks. I am available but I have family to be with too. I will help yogurt this going. No worries. Let me know when you are ready to engage again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the ATV is not picking up an internet signal from the Ethernet cable

Looks like it wants to use wireless regardless of the connectivity. Ugh ! Are you looking to try an improve performance by using a wired connection?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is buffering with the wifi
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am back.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to go forward with the serup, I can go to manual setting where I seeEthernet
Configure IP> Automatic
IP Address 169...So, the ATV sees the Ethernet cable, but assigns a self proclaimed IP address, which leads to not being recognized by the router.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
now, I must configure the IP address manually to the same as before.

Yes. That's apparently what's going on. I will continue to work with you on this. I would like to remote in and take a look at your router settings. This may be the culprit. Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Once this IP configuration is entered, I get an error message : no network connection, your network isn't connected to the internet.So the proper IP settings are inserted, but the ATV does not communicate to the router via Ethernet.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, you can come in
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
From the router, I see the Ethernet IP address in the reservations list with the ATV Ethernet MAC address, but a wifi IP address also appears, with the ATV wifi MAC address

I shouldn't matter. It should connect via ethernet. I believe that the ATV is confused and can't make up it's mind because it used wireless and it is still enabled so it is trying to use instead on the wired connection.

We have to fool it into using only the wired connection.