Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience:  CISCO Certified Networking Engineer
30970729

Trying to reset network name and password on WRT54gl, never,

Customer Question

Trying to reset network name and password ***** WRT54gl
JA: When did you last reset your username and password?
Customer: never
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i've been trying to reset all morning
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: link sys web sites
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Networking
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I would like to try and help. Please let me know when you are able to begin troubleshooting

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ready
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

OK, first of all what password ***** we speaking or ? are you trying to connect with WiFi (and getting that login) or are you trying to login to the router to change settings on it ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
logon to router and change factory settings
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

OK if you have not changed the password ***** then the password ***** normally be set to username of admin and password ***** admin.

If you have already tried that without success, then you can reset the router back to factory settings by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds and releasing it. That will change it back to the admin/admin username and password.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
link sys says 10 sec but I'll try 30
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

OK let me know if that works or not. Ill be here. If it does not help then come back to me here and we can have you call me (sometimes live phone call can be quicker)

Please let me know if that works one way or the other so I can be sure you are working correctly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Power button has stabilized
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
now network name is ***** ***** password ***** *****
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

OK. Let me know when the lights go back to normal. (Power Green, Internet green, wlan green or flashing)

Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

ok. Does that completely solve the issue for you ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no when i go on to linksys it won't let me do anything
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have a registered email and password ***** them
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

OK meaning you cannot get on the internet from it ? You may have to set it back up to work. Do you see the lighs I sked about (Power, Internet, Wlan being ON) ? If not you may have to login to the router (go to the webpage of 192.168.1.1) and login with blank username and password ***** admin and you should be able to change the network name and set it up for the internet if it is not working.

Linksys your router ? or linksys.com on the internet ?

By the way, I sent an offer for additional services for a phone call to you (which may be faster to troubleshoot with)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not happy at all, you were no help and now i can't respond. I'll also be reversing the charges
Expert:  Sean_A_M replied 3 months ago.

You have that option, of course. However I do believe we can get all things working with a few minutes more troubleshooting. After all, you are now able to login to the router which you could not before (which was the original issue) and a few minutes will surely fix all other issues.

I have a suggestion: You can call me at no additional charge and we can get this resolved to your satisfaction. would that be helpful to you ?

If not, tell me what would satisfy you to make you happy.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I see the previous expert has left the conversation.
Please reply and let me know if you still need any help with this.