Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a legacy computer running XP for an application that

Customer Question

I have a legacy computer running XP for an application that won't run on anything newer. Runs fine, but every morning, the machine has disconnected from the network and we have to reboot the machine to login to the network. Any idea why this is happening and what I should look for to fix it? We have other similar machines running XP or Vista and they don't have this problem.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
What sort of network is it disconnecting from during the night, please? describe the circumstances a bit more, and I can have a guess at least as to what is going wrong.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's a Windows network and the server runs Windows Server 2003. We each have two desktop computers. One is Windows 7 for modern apps connecting to one of two WS2012R2 servers. The other is a legacy machine running XP or Vista connecting to the WS2003 server. We use Microsoft Security Essentials on our W7 workstations, Norton on our legacy applications, and Webroot on the servers. All this virus stuff is set to auto-update in the early AM.

OK. Can you look into the virus stuff, on the XP computer, and find out whether the update has completed *before* the network cuts off, and if so, at what hour? it might be important.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, tomorrow.

Good. After that is done, the results will suggest whether the cutoff of the network connection might be from the attempt to update in the early a.m. hours, or be completely separate from that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think the issue might be with updates trying to run. When I looked this AM, the machine did not ask for a login. The desktop was intact. however, the icon to the legacy application was dark and network connection was lost. The mapping of that drive was set to reconnect. So all of this makes me think the machine did not restart last night. So, I tried restarting it and the choice was to install 16 updates and shut down or to restart. When I restarted, it worked fine, the connection was reestablished, the icon refreshed. However, it did not try to install the updates. Going back to the restart, the updates were still there. The owner says it's always there. Obviously it should not be because this is XP and not being updated. So, just now, I installed the 16 updates and shutdown. I then restarted and everything was okay. However, tonight, I imagine it will go out to get the same 16 updates and for some reason disconnect from the network. So it seems I should do something to prevent that download. Right?

Well, perhaps. But first, try checking the Update History. See whether (in

Start - Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs

and find the Windows Update History (by checking the Show Updates checkbox).

Does it show the 16 updates as having not 'Failed' ?