Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I bought a NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi Range Extender

(EX7300):https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D6JEMWS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1I installed it and configured...
I bought a NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi Range Extender (EX7300):https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D6JEMWS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1I installed it and configured it successfully through the admin panel of the device.I set the Wi-Fi name on the NETGEAR to the same name as my original Wi-Fi because I want the range extender to be on the same Wi-Fi around the house.The range of my Wi-Fi now very good all over the house including the second floor and in my backyard.However one of my Google Chromecast devices seems to sometimes not to connect to the netgear Wi-Fi extender. I am not sure if this is caused because both my Wi-Fi router and the Netgear Wi-Fi extender have the same Wi-Fi name?This Google Chromecast device is too far from my main Wi-Fi to get a good signal but it is in good range to get a good signal from the Netgear Wi-Fi extender. But I am not sure why it does not connect to it sometimes. If I restart both the Netgear Wi-Fi extender and the Google Chromecast then they both connect to each other. But after a day or so it seems that the Google Chromecast looses Wi-Fi connection to the Netgear Wi-Fi extender.Are there any settings I can set so that my Google Chromecast connects to the Netgear WiFi Extender all the time?
6/15/2017
Nathan, System Administrator

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This is likely a channel issue,

go into the main router and check what wifi channels it is on. It is probably set to auto, use 1, 6, or 11 instead.

Then on the extender, do the same (picking a different one, such as 1 on the router, 11 on the extender)

Ok. Thank You.
I will check that right now and get back to you.You had actually helped me in the past where my chromecast devices where not showing up on the wifi network. You told me to set a set a specific IP address for each chromecast and that solved the problem.So let check the channels and get back to you shortly.Thank You.

I do recall that, the same IP assignments should still carry over automatically, though it is possible your extender "stole" one of those addresses accidentally and caused the conflict

I just set different channels to the wi-fi router and extender.
The Chromecast is now getting excellent signal.
Do you mind if I keep the question open for a day or two to make sure that the problem doesn't come back?Does the Chromecast always automatically connect to the wifi router with the strongest wi-fi signal?

No problem at all,

and yes it should automatically choose the strongest signal to connect to.

I just tried it again. The chromecast does not get wifi signal. It shows on my list of chromecast devices on my phone but when I try to connect to it it does not connect.My main wifi router is set to channel 2.
The Netgear wifi extender is set to channel 1 (It will not let me change the channel).Any other suggestions?

Can you change the main router channel, such as to 11?

OK. I will do that.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks

I changed the main wifi router to channel 11.
still having the same problem.
I am not able to get the chromecast to connect to the strong signal netgear wifi extender.
I have restarted the netgear and chromecast several times but same problem.
The chromecast takes a long time to connect and the signal is very weak - when I play a high definition video from youtube, it displays in very poor quality.
When it was connecting to the netgear wifi extender with a good signal, the same youtube video would play instantly and with high definition quality.Do you think the chromecast device is just not designed to connect properly when there are 2 wifi routers with the same wifi name?

It seems like the chromecast is getting confused and still going to the main,

how about this,

unplug the main router and the chromecast for a few minutes,

leave the extender on

then power the chromecast on and let it connect to the extended network. It won't have internet, just lan, but that is ok for now,

then boot up the main router and internet should link up at that point, and hopefully the chromecast will stick to the extender connection then

OK. Will try now...

Thanks

That worked. The chromecast connects instantly and the video shows in excellent quality.
I disconnected and reconnected to the chromecast several times and everytime it worked well.I will test it again this evening and tomorrow to see if it will stay connected to the netgear wifi extender.So the only way to make connect properly is to restart the wifi routers and devices in the order your recommended?If you can think of changing any other settings to make it more dependable I would appreciate it.

Now that it is connected and has "learned" the extender, it should stay that way, I don't expect you'd have to do this again, or do it for new devices.

Nothing else should be necessary at this point.

Great. Thank You.
Let me check it again tomorrow and if all is working well I will close the question and I will be giving you 5 stars.I have one more question:
I have another wifi router that connects to the main internet router through an ethernet cable (I have ethernet plugs in my walls upstairs).Can I connect this router and give it the same wifi name as the other wifi routers? Or will it create a connection problem?

Same deal as with the extender,

you can keep it on the same network name, but ideally will separate the channels. Using 1, 6, and 11 are preferred because there is no overlap. Otherwise you can end up doing more harm than good. You could just give it a different name if you prefer, either way whether the same or different network name is ***** ***** devices will connect to whatever is strongest.

Another question: do devices that pass the internet signal through electrical outlets work well?Like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/P1002P-Gigabit-Pass-through-Powerline-1000Mbps/dp/B01B1FFIUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497571013&sr=8-6&keywords=internet+through+electrical+outlet

In a perfect world, yes.

They work best when on the same circuit (which rarely happens) and if there is no other noise on the line.

Overall though they can work, they are better than wifi, but not as good as ethernet.

Hello Nathan,
Unfortunately one day later the Chromecast lost connection again with the Wi-Fi extender. I did not turn off any of the Wi-Fi routers or the Chromecast.I also noticed that my other chromecasts were not showing up on the list either.Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi John,

sorry to hear that, I was optimistic that this would have resolved the issue.

At this point, you may have to try changing the name of the extender and running it as an entirely separate network.

While it *should* be able to auto detect and pick the best, ***** *****'t always work in practice, so that would be the next step.

Nathan, System Administrator
I actually did that and I set a different network name to the extender.
It now works well and to my surprise all the chromecasts show on both wifi networks.

Great, glad to hear that worked!

Nathan, System Administrator