Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

We just recently purchased a Netgear AC1600 cable modem

Customer Question

We just recently purchased a Netgear AC1600 cable modem router and have service through Cox. We upgraded our service which was supposed to make it 3x faster. Any mobile devices that move 10 feet away from unit disconnect wifi and service is slower. Seems with a nice unit like this, wi-fi should not be an issue. Not sure how to remedy this. Any suggestions?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Netgear router?
Customer: Not much. I just got it.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It slowly occurred and became worse with time. Now we bring the laptop 10 feet away into the bedroom and it spins searching for network connection. Streaming (Netflix) constantly interrupted and home page won't even load.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Ive rebooted a million times. I've also unplugged everything and waited 60 seconds before plugging it back in. I know that trick. That's about it
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Any and all mobile devices (phones, laptops, tablets) will lose connection within 10-12 feet of modem.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Do you by chance live in a congested area with other WiFi networks?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are dozens that pop up when a network search is in process
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot afford $39 at present. I thought there was a way someone could walk me through a troubleshooting process the way Cox usually does. I thought i was dealing with the Netgear tech support.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

This is an independent tech support site not affiliated with any company or service provider. You may disregard the Premium Service Offer for Remote Support. That is an automated popup initiated by the web site.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

If you have a number of wireless networks around you, they may be interfering with your signal. Try accessing your routers setup page and change the operating channel to see if that will give you better range.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand. I wasn't paying attention and saw "Netgear router support" and assumed you were thee Netgear. Thanks anyway and I'm sorry for any inconvenience. -Frank
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

No problem. I am happy to continue working with you if you like?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok. How do we proceed and under what circumstances financially?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I went ahead and called Cox. They're going to send someone out to troubleshoot it with me. Thank you for your time and I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Okay glad to hear it. Good luck and please let me know if I can be of any future assistance.