Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I'm attempting to set up my VOIP system, service provided by…

I'm attempting to set up...
I'm attempting to set up my VOIP system, service provided by Cox Com, using my own parts to avoid rental charges. I have a TP Link DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and a TP Link AC1750 dual band router, to start with. Was advised to get a Cisco SPA122 Ata w/ router to complete the set up. As I understand it, all I have to do is hook my telephone system in to the ATA and it into the router which is hooked to the DOCSIS modem and then configure it. Is this correct? And what kind of configuration are we talking? Need advise, am tired of paying rental fees!
4/28/2017
Richard Freese
Richard Freese, System Administrator

Hi; This is Rick. I would be happy to assist you in this challenge. If you are still available, let me know and I will proceed. Honestly, there is a much simpler way to get you own phone service and I will be happy to assist. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Rick, sorry I took so long to answer. Somehow your answer never reached my computer and I didn't know you answered until I came to the Just answer home page.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The system is up and working, with the componets I have. But Cox wants to charge me a monthly charge for a componet I"m sure I can purchase and get by the monthly rental charge. I did it with their TV system, and plan to do it for my home system with the telephone too. Right now, I have the modem and router mentioned, and their componet is a Ubee DVW326B. I assume this is a modem/router with the ability to have a battery backup in case the system goes powerless. We have cell phones in case that happens. What I want to do is replace this piece, as economically as possible, and still have a good ans stable system.

Hi; Just got your message. I have a solution that you may not have heard of and I'm using. It called Ooma.

This is a VOIP sysyem that uses you high speed internet connection and sets up a complete phone system. The unit is small and Ooma can give a free phone number or you can port your existing phone number for an extra fee. If yeo elect to port you number, it will cost about $5 per month. It's reasonable and I have had my system for about four years now.

http://ooma.com

Chack the out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have heard of Ooma and had considered it. But, unfortunately, when I went from A.T and T, because of their high prices, I had high speed internet with Cox, and opted to go with them and am locked into a two year contract. So, regardless of the system I have, they are going to charge me anyway. So, I am making the best I can, with the monkey I already have on my back, if you get my drift.

Okay. I had the same issue when I was with Time Warneer. But no contract. I get you dilema. They charge you a monthly rental for their crap equipment, you don't use it and they won't give you a break. Exactly why I only have internet service with Sudden Link here in Pflugerville, TX. For TV I have a high performance antenna and get about 90 to 100 chnnels of TV over the air. For streaming entertainment, I use Roku and TickBox. The tickbox is nice as I can get streaming media from HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and a lof of stuff only available on cabe services. So, I pay about $65 a month for internet and nothing for over the air TV. My only investments were in the streaming media devices I have.

Let me see if I can find a a reasonable VOIP modem you can purchase and use with Cox. I will get back to you as soon as I can. I'm on you side. These jokers gouge us all.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the understanding.I too, am moving away from cable with Roku 3 as a start. Will get more into at later date. Will get back with you on that at a later date and different question. Will wait for your reply on the modem. As a add on information about my system, they have the modem od their wired in with a slitter as my modem has only one ethernet port and one internet cable connection. My router you're probably familiar with and I thought it was a good one for this, your opinion?

I have found a Cisco system that might work. If you have an ISP like Spectrum, Charter, Cox, you usually get one DHCP assigned ip address. The VOIP system will have to have a real ip address and not a private non routable ip. I am not sure but depending on your router, you may able to use NAT to link the phone so it will work. I have never tried this. But I would imagine that my ooma system does this.

The other option is dynamic is a dynamic DNS service like "Absolutely free dynamic DNS service" Here is their link. http://dnsdynamic.org/

This should allow you to stand up a phone system. The big problem would be getting you phone number ported to it. I am still looking into this. More on it later.

Here is the link to the Cisco system I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grade-A-Cisco-SPA508G-8-Line-IP-Phone-/182474396386?hash=item2a7c5252e2:g:zC4AAOSwnF9Y77uX

Now that I have removed the cob webs from my brain. Can you tell me the brand of phone modem you are using to connect to you ISP?

When I signed up with my ISP, I provided my own cable modem. I used one that was compatible with the ISP. All the provided had to do was provision my modem to interface with their network. It would be the same with a phone modem. So, all you should need is the brand/model number to determine if the modem is publicly available and you could obtain one yourself. The your provider should be able to provision it and you would off and running. That's even better than ooma for sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The modem, and I suspect more, is their top of the line buy that the tech hooked me up with when he put me on line. Of course he didn't bother telling me at the time that it was a purchase only modem. It's a Ubee DVW326B. Has backup battery and most of the works. It's pair with my router, which is a TP Link AC1750, dual band router, and my modem, for the internet, is a TP Link DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem model AC7610. Need anything else, let me know.

Based on the information you just gave me, I found the following on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Ubee+DVW326B&_sacat=0

Interesting. So, essentially you could scrap the monthly lease charge by buying modem cheap and getting you provider to provision.

I am not sure they would want to do that. But it's worth a try for sure. I does seem you have a lot of devices to make things work for you though.

Good luck and let me know how this all works out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also found the same unit on Amazon, for a bit more but I have an account with them. Won't be here until around the 9th -14th. But it'll be worth the wait. And what will happen is I'll replace theirs with mine and they'll call or send an email saying that they have detected a non-Cox equipment on my service and will want the serial number and MAC address, etc. And everyone except them will be happy. Cause for ewo years they will only get 9.99 a month from me and no rental fees. Then I'll look into Ooma, because then they will go back to their former prices, and I don't want to pay the for that either, but need a phone right now. How likely are those Ubee modems to go bad? There seems a lot of used ones on E-Bay as well as Amazon, so I'm figuring that they last longer than most people need them. In any case, I bought one.

As far as liability is concerned, I have heard good things about the reliability on this modem. Since there are a number of used ones on the market, it would either indicate that the users did not like them, or switched to another technology. But they don't have a bad rating from what I have seen so far.

Richard Freese
Richard Freese, System Administrator
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rick, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Found a Ubee DVW326 on Amazon, and ordered it. There the trouble started. Some guy in Queens, NY, was selling what he said were DVW326's, but turned out to be DVW3201. It would not configure to Cox, as I understand them, it is a dedicated voice gateway for Time Warner. Anyway, started refund proceedings and am filing a complaint for fraud for the wasted time. Ordered another from a company in Nevada which should be here in a couple of days. Cox showed me their page where I can manually configure the new(used) one to their system. If all goes well, I'll have problem solved in about a week. So will close this question, and rate you, remembering that if I have a problem later, I can always reopen this question or ask another question. Thanks for the time and help.

Hello and thanks for the great rating and kind words. I keep logs of all the challenging issues I deal with. This one is one of the most interesting. I am glad you have a path to success. I will always be available if you have other questions or challenges. Enjoy your day sir.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You earned it. Update: refund was issued by sellar on the gateway modem. and it was returned.I bought another in Las Vegas, NV, and it is in route. Don't expect any problems so again thanks for the time and assistance. You have a fine one!

Thanks so much sir. Feel free to reach out to me if you run into any other issues. Enjoy the weekend. i am going to be on the lake fishing. :o)