Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a HUGE issue. The place we are moving to ( a rental…

I have a HUGE issue...
I have a HUGE issue. The place we are moving to ( a rental until our new house is built ) has only one option for internet in the area (I have done EXTENSIVE research on this, all day today actually). The ONLY Internet available in this area is ATT 12 mbps speed, and my husband games with his Xbox , I work from home and use VOIP AND we use a roku to stream most of our TV. Right now we are used to cable internet (100 Mbps) and it is not offered there . I am not sure what to do. Is there special equipment or something you can recommend to boost the speed ? I need it soon. I checked out Hughes net , have you heard of that and does it work ? Looks like i have to sign a contract with them and it is not much faster. I can learn to live with it for 10-12 months however I need to find the best way to deal with it and boost it somewhat. We also have one PC, 1 iphones, and two ipads on the system. The house is 1900 square feet and a perfect square so 850 square feet upstairs and 850 down. Please let me know the best way to configure it so it works the best. Thank you.
3/19/2017
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Hughes.net is satellite internet, essentially. That can be subjected to some interruptions, esp. if the 'beam' travels anywhere near some tree branches that may leaf out later on in spring.

Hughes.net is quoted as being about twice as fast the 12 Mbps speed ATT quotes... which may be somewhat lower at times, like all internet service.

Here's the FAQ for Hughes.net... check to see whether it is available in your region, too, of course:

https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

As for equipment to make ATT internet faster... I would not bet on it too much. The advantage might be rather slight at best, ***** *****

(Are you sure that FIOS (quite fast, I hear) from ATT is not available there?)

The best you can do is see if Hughes.net can help, and also apportion internet peak use, e.g. have your husband doing games when it is 'after hours' for your VoIP use at least.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They do not have FIOS available here. They just marked off flags for it in front of the place where I am moving so I hope soon, otherwise I am looking at 12mbps. Is that enough to watch my roku?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I get a booster ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I use something like this ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC5400-Wireless-Router-EA9500/dp/B017NT8Q24/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=S8F0QGHD997YMBRKEBDN&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop

I don't think 12 Mbps will produce satisfactory results, with all the other bandwidth usages you listed.

Please be clear: a WiFi booster does not increase speed, if there is a 'bottleneck' in the throughput or network, or if the available internet is limited to 12 Mbps. Common WiFi is faster than that, even just Wireless-G (which is 54 Mbps.)

Hughes.net is probably the best you can do under the circumstances.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hughes net , I keep hearing they have bad reviews, and you have to sign a contract right ?

Probably you have to sign a contract, yes. Internet Service providers generally do expect that, more or less.

Everyone gets *some* bad reviews. But as to bandwidth, they are the best you can do, apparently... as to reliability, expense, occasional outages, etc. I cannot state.

Ultimately the decision is up to you, of course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, do you know anyone who uses Hughes net and likes it? Just wondering.
also, would it be smarter to just buy a cheap smartphone and use a hotspot instead ? I guess the only thing is unlimited data. T-mobile is supposed to have the most consistent data speed in this area so wondered if i just got on a plan for data for the whole house if that would work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i would like a second opinion on this question: Customer service: can you send me to a new expert to answer this.

I think you need a second opinion, agreed: I have Opted Out, the most immediate way of fulfilling your request.

Ashik, PC Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

On a 12 Megabits per sec connection, you will get a download speed of 1.2 to 1.5 MegaBytes per sec. That is (on average), you will be able to download 3-4 GB in an hour. This connection is pretty decent to stream Full HD Movies, VOIP, Video calling, Youtube etc. But not suitable for streaming 2K or 4K contents.

For gaming, satellite internet are not good choice because when gaming (online play), what matters are Ping and Latency. You could have a 10000 Mbps connection, but if the Ping and Latency is bad (which is possible for satellite connections), the experience will be very bad. If the ping and latency are good, the games will perform better even with a 1Mbps connection.

Booster is not going to be any use unless it is the one provided by the satellite company tuned to receive the signals.

The one you found on Amazon.com is a Router and it is kind of useless without a decent internet connection. It doesn't improve the satellite connection speed. It is only useful to get better WiFi signals and also transferring files between your devices super fast. So don't waste your money buying it.

"also, would it be smarter to just buy a cheap smartphone and use a hotspot instead ? I guess the only thing is unlimited data. T-mobile is supposed to have the most consistent data speed in this area so wondered if i just got on a plan for data for the whole house if that would work? "

Although this is a good idea if you can find an unlimited plan (you have to find tethering/hotspot plan) and if you have better coverage there, people usually use this as a backup internet plan. But you can make it as primart internet. T-Mobile's LTE/4G speed are far more better than satellite connections (assuming you can get strong 4G/LTE signals in your home). You should do a research on this first. If you have strong T-Mobile signal inside that house, then you can get a Personal Hotspot device to get internet all the time.

Let me know what you think..

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

It is kind of hard to find someone who actually likes satellite internet. Since you asked, I found reviews here --> https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/hughes.html

By reading them, I don't think you should opt in unless you really don't have any other choice like T-Mobile.

From reading real world people opinions, my advice is, you should avoid Hughsnet because their services are not good. I've read reviews that people are getting less than 1Mbps performance on a 10Mbps connection --> https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/hughes.html

It'd better to opt in for hotspot/tethering services from cellular networks like T-Mobile.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you just think we should go with the 12 mbps option with
ATT? there is not a configuration or anything you can recommend that would help lessen lag or ping time as you stated? I am wiling to do anything at this point. My husband games at night but he still has a lag issue even with are cable internet that is supposed to be 100 mbps. just any more pointers would be good. I will give you a VERY good tip if you can find any device or ANYTHING that would help with making it faster in the house. DSL is so slow. I hope you saw it is 1900 square feet, 850 up and 850 down. For instance, where should I have them put the router?

Yes, you should go for 12Mbps AT&T connection. Just don't get Hughesnet

AT&T should have reliable speed and 12Mbps is decent to stream HD movies, VOIP etc. Although DSL is slow, they are reliable and stable. Gaming should be OK on AT&T if its servers are near to you. Ping and Latency are something beyond our control. There is no equipment or configuration or anything that can fix Ping and Latency. That is basically the quality of internet connection, time takes to send and receive data packets etc. Even if you install a powerful router, this will not give you better ping.

To reduce lag on gaming, you should ask your husband to connect his Xbox to the router with an Ethernet cable. This will increase the performance of online gaming compared to WiFi connection (assuimg the PING and latency are good). If it is not possible to establish a wired connection to router, then tell me the existing model of your router and I will make recommendations for quality improvement.

Let me explain simply how the network works

Your internet speed = 12Mbps i.e 12 Megabits per sec which is equal to 1.5 Megabytes per sec

This is the speed of data transferred from your ISP (AT&T) to the modem/router and vice versa

Router speed = this is the speed of your home network. For eg : The speed of router you sent from Amazon is 5400Mbps i.e 675 Megabytes per sec

This speed is completely different from internet speed. Since your internet speed is 12Mbps, you will not get any boost in the internet speed even if you use the above powerful router. You still get only 12Mbps speed.

The router is only useful if you have 1000Mbps internet connection (like Google Fiber) or if you setup a home server or if you are wanting to transfer files from one device to another.

I hope it makes sense to you. BTW You don't need that high end router. Even the AC1750 version of that router is more than enough.

You can install the router any place you want, but there will be places in your house where you get weak signals. That issues can be easily fixed by using Extenders --> https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=linksys+extender

I'd recommend to install near the Roku, TV or Xbox so they can use the 5Ghz network (high speed)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i would office downstairs, my husband will game upstairs, and will watch most TV downstairs. where should I put it? I could put it somewhere at the bottom of the stairs as the place he would game is on the large landing right at the top of the stairs. Is it okay to put a router in a closet, will it be blocked there?
this is the router we have now and we love it, : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087NZ31S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1would this be okay do we need something else?

Well, I would not consider that as a router. Since you have multiple devices and your main purposes are streaming and gaming, that router is not preferred. For that, Wireless AC Dual Band Routers are recommended. But your current router is going to be handy.

To get the best out of 12Mbps or future high speed connections (100Mbps or above) around the house, you should buy the Wireless AC Dual Band Router like this one. -->

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489946611&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear+wireless+ac

or the AC1900 model of Linksys you sent. You don't need the high end tri band model.

Dual Band routers will give you 2 WiFi networks i.e a 2.4Ghz network and a 5 Ghz Network. 2.4 gives you better coverage around the house, but have slow speed (like 300Mbps) and it is suitable for surfing,watching normal videos, HD videos etc. 5ghz gives you better speed (1100Mbps+) but have lower coverage and it is suitable for HD-4K Streaming, gaming, sharing data between devices etc

So the devices near to the router like Roku, Xbox can use the 5Ghz for better utilization of the internet. You can connect your iPhone or iPad or other mobile devices to the 2.4Ghz network for casual browsing, VOIP, video etc and you will get the signal of this 2.4Ghz coverage around the house.

You should install this router near to the Xbox or Roku or streaming devices you use most. Devices near to the router can use the 5Ghz high speed internet and this will reduce the lag from the devices to router. (For gaming, Ping and Latency matters and that is something we can't do anything of). If you install this router downstairs, your husband will not get strong 5Ghz signals to upstairs, so he will have to connect to the 2.4Ghz network which may reduce the gaming performance. But if you install the router upstairs, your husband will get a stable 5Ghz connection which have high performance, but the devices in downstairs like Roku, TV etc have to connect to 2.4 Ghz network. For streaming and gaming, connecting to 5Ghz is recommended.

BTW If he has Xbox 360, then you can install the router downstairs as Xbox 360 doesn't support 5Ghz (without external adapter). If he has Xbox one, then you two have to decide where you want to install. If you decide to install downstairs, then there is one thing you/he can do improve his gaming performance without installing the router upstairs. He can connect an ethernet cable from this router to his Xbox and he will have better performance than 5ghz connection.

You can then use your existing router as a Wireless Extender (Yes, it supports extender mode) to extend the 2.4Ghz connection to the areas where you have weak signals like backyard, other rooms etc

And No, don't put the router in a closer. It has to be installed in a open place, then only you will get better signals around the house.

The following setup will give you best of your network around the house

1 - Buy Netgear or Linksys Wireless AC1900 model = This will be your primary router

2 - Install the router downstairs in an open space (or mount it on wall) as your office, TV, Roku etc are downstairs. Don't install it on a closed environment like closet.

3 - Connect the Xbox to the router with an Ethernet cable for better performance. If he can get 3 or more bars of 5Ghz network or full bars of 2.4Ghz on his Xbox, then Ethernet is not mandatory. But Ethernet gives better performance for gaming.

4- Setup your "Securifi Almond" as an Wireless Extender of primary router. So you can plug it in to any place where you have weak signals from your primary router. This will extend the signals from primary router.

For eg : If you have weak WiFi signal on backyard, then you can just plug this router there and it will extend the signals from main router to the backyard. You can plug it in anywhere where there is weak WiFi signal and this will give better coverage there.

Ashik, PC Technician
Ashik, PC Technician