Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I just connected to a Netgear cable modem MM500, it hooks up

Customer Question

I just connected to a Netgear cable modem MM500, it hooks up to my main computer and logs on to the internet, but then when I hook my Netgear 68 /wireless router to it, it doesn't recognize it and no internet
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Netgear router?
Customer: It worked great with my DSL, but now I change to High speed cable
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: changed from DSL to cable
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Rebooting, checked adapters, I thought maybe the router can't handle the cable modem
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry its a CM500 modem
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem is the current configuration of your router. If configured for DSL, it will not work on a cable modem.

Cable modem service setup is simpler, but the two types of router setup are incompatible.

Would you like instructions on configuring your router?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you think I can re configure it or is it pretty comprehensive? The router isn't recognized at all

Thanks for responding. That's a very good question to ask.

The facts are, that the DSL -compatible setup in the router, at present, is all wrong.

So let's just reset the router back to factory settings, and you'll have nothing whatever you'll need to do, but set whatever WiFi parameters you want (SSID, encryption passphrase at least) and set a password ***** the admin setup too (to prevent the router from being 'jacked, by not leaving its admin password ***** the default state), and that's about it.

To reset the router back to factory settings (most of which are, incidentally, just fine for cable modem interfacing, luckily!) you locate the small reset button (it might be under a small hole, and is usually near the place where the power goes into the router), and hold it down for over 40 seconds, continuously.

Then release it.

Do you need instructions for logging in to the admin setup of the router (and setting the WiFi SSID and WiFi passphrase and the WiFi encryption type - which should be well above WEP 128-bit, to prevent hijacking of your router - the WEP 64-bit standard is completely useless at securing your router, by now) ? if so, just ask for the instructions and I will provide them.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.