Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I am trying to reset a wireless extender and having no luck.

Customer Question

Hello: I am trying to reset a wireless extender and having no luck.
JA: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?
Customer: I have a RE3000W.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I change my house modem
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: when the Linksys extender is shown as a network, I selected but willnnot connect to the internet
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: and when manually enter 192.168.1.1 the process does not successfully finish
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Do you want to reset the wireless extender, to factory defaults?

Or only reset it a bit less than the extent that will change the settings back to default values?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Want to reset the extender and linked to my new house wireless network

OK.

First, locate the reset button on the extender box. It is usually a small button next to the power plug-in jack.

If there is no reset button, then look for a small 'reset hole', which should be labeled.

Hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds, continuously.

That should reset the extender to factory settings.

Here are some basics about setting up a range extender for wireless, for the first time:

Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.

And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.

Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All you explained I have done it. I see the signal of the extender is strong but says no internet accedd

Does the router (that the wireless extender is basically trying to connect to, in order to extend its range) provide internet? check its indicator lights, or try to connect to internet through it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What do you mean by try to connect through it?

Connecting to internet through a router or WiFi box:

1. using a smart phone, or a handheld tablet, or a computer, to

2. ... connect to the WiFi, and get internet through it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It dies not work

Then your range extender is maybe OK, but your local network router isn't hooked up to internet. Look at the local router you are trying to extend... what does it show? what lights are On or blinking/flashing ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can connect through my house wifi. I need to link the extender to my netwir

Maybe you have a defective Wireless Extender, then.

If it is new, put it back in the original packaging, and return it to the store promptly, asking for an exchange for an equivalent or equally capable range extender in its place, one that works.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is not new. Thanks

If it worked before, then, it may have broken now.

Be sure you entered the local / new wireless passphrase into it correctly, observing all distinctions of UPPER CASE letters from lower-case letters in the passphrase.

After that... it's broken, most probably.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The passphrase is my network password *****? I enter but it the middle of the process I get a message of nonintervention connection and the extender signal dissapears

Make sure the extender is within at least 2 or 3 bars of the main router.

(In other words: the main router has to be close enough to the main router, that its signal still has a dead minimum of 2 bars of signal strength, all the time, and preferably 3, otherwise signal fade in and out will occur and internet through the extender will either not work reliably or won't work at all. An extender should not be too far away from the main WiFi router, in short.)