Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have an internet issue, I have an HP Pavilion about 6 yrs

Customer Question
I have an internet issue JA...
I have an internet issue
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: I have an HP Pavilion about 6 yrs old--Have internet/phone service with Verizon for near 10years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: we stopped our DISH TV and started using an antenna and then firestick from amazon and it buffers all the time sometimes to the point you can not view anything--computer too
JA: Anything else you want the phone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: do we need an up graded Verizon device?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Networking
1/2/2017
Network Technician: GeekGal, Network Administrator replied 10 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Buffering is usually the result of a weak or slow internet connection.The slow or weak connection could possibly be due to your equipment needing an upgrade but it more likely a result of not having enough internet bandwidth coming in to your equipment. What type of internet service do you have? Is it cable, or DSL, or something else? What speeds are you paying for?

In order to have a consistently good experience with your Firestick, if you want to stream live tv, you need an absolute minimum of 3Mbps bandwidth, but the faster the better. Beyond 10Mbps, you probably won't notice any additional benefit. If you only want to watch netflix or amazon video, then probably 1-3Mbps is enough. If you only have 1Mbps, then it will take longer to load the videos.

You may need to purchase more bandwidth from Verison, meaning that you may need to upgrade to the next level of service.

On a computer that it connected via ethernet cable to your modem/router, please close all open programs and click th elink below.

www.speedtest.net

When the webpage has finished loading, please click on begin test. Let me know the results please, of both your download and upload speeds.

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer