Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I'm having trouble establishing a connection using my

Customer Question
hello, I'm having trouble establishing...
hello, I'm having trouble establishing a connection using my ae1200
JA: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?
Customer: The modem is made by Verizon and has been tested already. The device is an vista sp2 HP computer which has also been able to connect in the past using similar devices. The software version is 2.1.0.9
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I attempted to connect the device using the included wizard and upon selecting my connection using the menu on the wizard, about 1 minute after entering the network password (checked correctly), was given the following error message: Invalid Key Manual
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have already reset both the computer and router, as well as moved the adapter closer to the router using a tested USB 2.0 extension cable.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all, thank you very much.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Networking
12/30/2016
Network Technician: Quiksilver07070, PC Technician replied 10 months ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, PC Technician

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

OKay, so you have a Verizon, modem....im guessing that it is also the Wifi access point too.

And you have an HP computer running Windows Vista SP2 and its using a USB wireless WiFi dongle plugged into a USB extending cable, to get closer to the router.

.

is that the setup?

it is

okay......so did you install the drivers for the USB dongle?

what is the make and model of the USB dongle please?

I have the linksys ae1200 model, and I believe that all the necessary drivers have been installed.
I have just checked, and the necessary driver has been installed.

and you are not able to connect to yoru wifi.......but what about being able to SEE the Wifi (its called an SSID)

a Wireless wifi network is called an SSID, and its what yoru wireless wifi dongle sees and connects to.

So can you see the wifi network SSID?

I am able to see the Wi-Fi/SSID

and when you try to connect, does it ask for a password?

I have checked that the password ***** was entered was correct.

and what happens?

What does it say?

that it cant connect? or the password ***** *****?

Upon entering the password (wep secured) It gave the message that there was an error. Namely: Invalid Key Manual

okay....you need to change the WEP, to WPA2

you do this on the router itself.

WEP is not reccomended at all.

it also allows you to use a regular password.

WEP keys are a sequence of hexadecimal values taken from the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F. Some examples of WEP keys are:

• 1A648C9FE2
  • 99D767BAC38EA23B0C0176D152

but WPA2 allows you to use regular old words as a password

.

examples is everythign in the dictionary that uses atleast 8 characters (letters/numbers)

The required ength of a WEP key depends on which version of the WEP standard the network is running:

• 40- or 64-bit WEP: 10 digit key
  • 104- or 128-bit WEP: 26 digit key
  • 256-bit WEP: 58 digit key

Why WEP Keys are Obsolete Today

Industry researchers eventually discovered and made public major flaws in the design of WEP technology. With the right tools (programs built to exploit these technical flaws), a person could break into most WEP protected networks within a matter of minutes and perform the same kind of sniffing attacks as on an unprotected network.

Newer and more advanced wireless key systems including WPA and WPA2 were added to Wi-Fi routers and other equipment to replace WEP. Although many Wi-Fi devices still offer it as an option, WEP has long been considered obsolete and should be used on wireless networks only as a last resort.

So.....do you know how to get into yoru router wifi, and change the SSID password *****?

can you please guide me through the process?

Change it from WEP to WPA2. then you create a password, and save it.

Then try to connect to the wifi again using the newly created password

I dont think i can give you the instructions....theres too many variables.

.

However, if i caould connect to yoru computer, i could then connect to yoru router, and make the changes for you.

I know what im looking for......but theres many different ways it could be shown.

So....it would be best over a remote.

So, how are you talking to me now?

Are you using a different computer, that is connected to the same router?

I am on a different device on a different connection. At the moment I don't want to give you control as I have a prior engagement elswhere and will be away from the computer.

okay....well i can tell you the basic idea.....but i cant give you the click by click

That is fine, but as stated before I will be leaving momentarily.

your router has an IP address.....starting with 192.168

or

starting with 172.16

or

stating with 10.

.

so your first task is to find the IP address of the router.

then put that IP address in your browser, and then you wil be presented with a LOGIN

a username and password ***** login to the router.

this is usually the default, and is usually admin, admin

usernmae is admin

password ***** *****

but each router is different, and if you tell me the make and model of the router, i can find the delfault router address, and the default login.

but once you are logged into the router, you navigate to the SSID and change the WEP to WPA as the security type.

Understood. Thank you very much for your assistance. If needed, can I contact you for more information, or to potentially connect you to the network directly?

HOWEVER.

in ordeer to connect to the router, you must be on the same network.

so you need to plug a cable into the router, instead of connecting to the wifi.....as you mentioned you cant connect to the wifi.

so you have to connect to the router with a network cable.

THEN you can put int he ip address, and enter the login to the router, and make changes to the Wifi

the only way i connect to your network is to connect to yoru computer.

But, rememebr, this is the important part, you cant use a seperate internet connection to access the router.....you MUST be connected to the router with a cable, or connected to it over the Wifi........thats teh only 2 ways.

please take a moment to rate, and come back if youhave any further questions.

Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, PC Technician