Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Good. I have a net gear router that I think is locked. I'm

Customer Question
Hello? JA: Hello. How can we...
Hello?
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: Ok good. I have a net gear router that I think is locked. I'm trying to go thru the steps but unsuccessful. There is a green icon at top of my router with a lock
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Netgear router?
Customer: Uh, never had trouble until we moved.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: When I plugged it in, the light came on. I'm trying to stream amazon and Netflix on my blu ray. I live on a university campus and their wifi is terrible so I got a router and everything was good until toni
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Pressing some wps button, turning it off and back on, going into settings on blu ray and typing in router passw
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know how to unlock it
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Networking
12/11/2016
Network Technician: Pete, Networking Engineer replied 11 months ago
Pete, Networking Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

The lock symbol usually indicates WPS.

If your router has a WPS button, try pressing it - does the WPS/Lock light blink for around a minute?

Please let me know the model number of the router if you need further assistance with this...

I tried pressing it and I believe the light blinked around for a minute

Ok, so the WPS button appears to be functioning normally.

The light does not indicate that the router is locked, it just indicates that it is secure.

That helps a lot. I'm still stuck and you haven't helped...yet. You want more money don't you?

Your satisfaction is my priority; how can I help?

You can help me by figuring out why all the sudden my router isn't letting me connect to the net. Net gear model: WNDR3400v3
I went on the net gear site and it says router is not connected to Ethernet which is incorrect

Who is your internet service provider?

What is the status of all the other lights on the router?

I live on a college campus (my wife works here). I think they have suddenlink but it sucks so we got a router. Was perfect until I unplugged it, moved elsewhere on campus. At top green light with lock. At bot***** ***** on/off indicator, green 2.4 GHz, then above it, a blue 5 GHz. The numbers 1 2 3 4 are not lit

Are you trying to connect to it with a wire, or wirelessly?

Are any devices wired into any of the 4 ports?

There's 5 ports, 4 blk, 1 yellow. The cable is in the yellow port and connected in wall to what is a little larger than a phone jack

The router is for wifi. No wires. Use wifi for mac, stream on blu ray player, tablets

Ok, so when you go to the wifi settings on your mac or tablets, do they show as connected to the netgear router?

If not, what happens when you try to connect them to it?

Shows connection but isn't connected. Try to pull up web, nothing happens

Who is your internet service provider?

When you moved, did you notify the service provider?

I already said I believe it's suddenlink. It's campus wide so moving across the street doesn't make a difference

Ok, so you are using the college's internet, not your own provider..

have you checked with the college to see if there is anything blocking the connection?

There shouldn't be. It worked fine in our other apt on campus.

Ok, let me check if the other techs have any further ideas on this one...

Network Technician: Josh, Helpdesk replied 11 months ago
Josh, Helpdesk

Hi!

On the mac, have you disconnected from the Wi-Fi network and connected back again?

What's that going to do?

It will make sure that you are actually connected to the network,

Please try and let me know

I can connect to the crappy wifi on campus but the router is still locked and not working

Did you manually remove the network and connect to it again?

I did. It's the router. It needs to be unlocked or something. Tried on net gear website but it said it couldn't connect to router because it's not plugged into Ethernet. I've got a cable in the DSL jack in the wall and into router

Have you contacted the university IT department? It is possible that they have it disabled.

Josh, Helpdesk