Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I was instructed to reset my router. I did that and then a

Customer Question
new password ***** generated. I...
I was instructed to reset my router. I did that and then a new password ***** generated. I have since lost that password (I wasn't able to make my own password ***** rename the network, as I should have been), and now I can't log in any other devices. Please advise.
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: there is no place to request that
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: before what popped up?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: There is nothing to try. I go to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi page, try to log in, it asks for a 2nd level password (router access), I don't have that, and so I can't access anything to change the password.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope can you see my screen before I hit send?
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2016
Network Technician: Isaac Franklin, System Administrator replied 12 months ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, System Administrator

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

well, any info yet?

What is the make/model of your router

To start with, I need to know the version of mac osx you have on your machine, you can check as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

I don't have a mac. why would you assume I do?
Hello?????

Im sorry, that was supposed to be the link for windows and/or mac.

What version of windows are you running? 7/8/10?

and the model of your router is important.

Also, i have to type this all out. So my responses take a few minutes to get the info/questions to you.

windows 7 professional
Linksys EA6350
are you there?

Perfect. You have to try and factory reset your router to take off the 'second' password *****

Once it is reset you can continue to use this document to show you how to log in after and change your settings

again from your pc.

http://www.linksys.com/hk/support-article?articleNum=139791

Then go to your devices and FORGET the old network. go to your wifi settings and find your router name

again and log in with the password ***** reset.

Do this for me and reply with your results to finish up or continue if further support is needed.

Please rate the 5 stars at the top of the page to close out this question as it is the only way i am

credited for the work done with clients. Or, reply to continue if further troubleshooting is necessary.

~Franklin

resetting the router is what caused the problem the first time, so I'm reluctant to do that. my voip phone will need to be reset to link to it again, and I don't know how to do that.
it was a horrible process, and I don't have anyone who can guide me through that, unless you can do that as well.

You are referring to this which is why the document i sent you ensures this is known:

The router's default Password is “admin”, as for the User name, you can leave the field blank. For security purposes, it is recommended to change the default password. QUICK TIP: Changing the router's password through the web-based setup page may prevent you from using the Linksys Connect software.

And how to get around it.

I will open this up to other experts to give you more suggestions. Good luck!

Please standby.

how is the $5 refunded?
Network Technician: GeekGal, Network Administrator replied 11 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator

Hi there. My name is Alison.

As an independent contractor I don't have access to billing information but you can contact Customer Service via email at *****@******.*** or you can view options for contacting them by chat or phone at ww2.justanswer.com/help.

However, before you request a refund. I have a suggestion that may be able to help you. Do you have at least one computer connected to the router (that you can access the internet on?) If so, I can connect remotely to that computer and retrieve the password ***** you. I have offered this as a Premium Service. This is optional, and if you choose not to do this, I can provide detailed instructions for you here. In order to provide the best possible instructions. I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator