Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Can you help me please, i have a new OS X EI CApitan and my

Customer Question

hello there can you help me please
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: i have a new OS X EI CApitan and my Idesk Alias doesnt work
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: The alias “IDisk alias” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found no i have bought a new man yesturday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: my idesk alias dosnt work
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The alias “IDisk alias” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you doing to give me an answer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how long it takes you to answer back
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Apple has discontinued iDisk and many other Mobile Me features long time ago. I believe they terminated Mobile Me and iDisk at the end of July 2011.

Why do you want to access iDisk ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have bought new imac yesturday
through the time machine backup i have transfered all the file from the mac pro to the imac
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it took a few our to do soand after completing everything i click at IDisk aliasand i didnt workit shows the following massageThe alias “IDisk alias” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Apple has discontinued iDisk and many other Mobile Me features long time ago. I believe they terminated Mobile Me and iDisk at the end of July 2011.Why do you want to access iDisk ?what are you talking about????????????????????
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

iDisk is no longer in service in newer OS X and they replaced it with iCloud.

See here --> http://www.iclarified.com/15769/apple-confirms-that-iweb-gallery-and-idisk-are-being-discontinued

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am talking about Idisk alias
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you understand my question or problem?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

iDisk alias is just a shortcut to access the files in iDisk (either from server or from the local folder of Mac). That alias won't work in new OS X as there is not iDisk in latest OS X version

If the files are stored locally on the older Mac, then you have to copy the files manually to new Mac if Migration Assistant didn't move them

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this is my problem
when i click to Idisk aliasit show meThe alias “IDisk alias” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i dont get it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i disk alias will not work with my new imac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

I understand. What I'm saying is, Apple has removed iDisk from the newer OS X and your Mac doesn't know where the iDisk is located. It is not coded in the newer OS X. The shortcut just migrated to new Mac when you did the transfer.

There is no iDisk in latest OS X.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

"so i disk alias will not work with my new imac"

Correct. Do you have the files from iDisk somewhere on your Mac ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i can share the same information with two computers
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how i can share the same idesk with the new computer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i was thinking to have two computers
1) in the office
2) the second is the labtopi have made an account with icloud in order to share all the information of the two labtop via ideskso if i do something at the office i will be able to see that on the labtop
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you online
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if you cant help me kindly let me know so i will not type massages without no replay
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. My messages are getting deleted, probably because we're replying at same time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i dont understand what to do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how to solve the problem
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Please give me time to write the answer

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

To share files, you can use iCloud. What you want to do is, go to Apple > System Preferences > iCloud and enable iCloud drive on both Macs.

Then to access these files shared via iCloud drive, you have two options. You can open Finder, select iCloud drive in left column and it will show the files in there.

Or go to www.icloud.com

Login to your iCloud account and you will see iCloud drive there. Click it and you will see your files

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

I think you are confused. Both iDisk and iCloud Drive are different things. Apple has discontinued iDisk long time ago and replaced with iCloud and iCloud Drive. From 10.7 onwards, you will see iCloud instead of old Mobile Me or iDisk.

With iCloud Drive, you can share files between Macs, PC, iPhone etc. See here --> http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

You can trash the old iDisks alias. You no longer need it on your new Mac.

Let me know if there is any confusion

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i cant find enable icloud drive on both mac
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Go to Apple > System Preferences and select iCloud. Sign in to iCloud there. You will see many options there. Scroll down and do you see iCloud drive there ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Just put a checkmark left to iCloud drive and it will be enabled.

Both Macs must be running 10.7 or later OS X.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have it registered
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Go to Apple > System Preferences and select iCloud. Do you see iCloud Drive there ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can you connect to my computer
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Secure remote service is an optional service with additional payment of $39

If you want remote service, then you can accept it and I will connect and try to setup it myself. If not, I can give you instructions in here until the issue is resolved

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how i can see my folders that i had on the idisk alias
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Do you still see those folders/files on your older Mac ? It is possible that your older Mac has downloaded those files from iDisk and saved a copy to hard drive. So we have to copy them over to new Mac manually

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i see icloud drive the first option
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Enable "iCloud Drive" there. Do the same for both Macs. Then you will iCloud Drive icon in Finder, in left column. The files you copied to that iCloud Drive in Finder will be uploaded to iCloud online and will be shared with other devices

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but after i made the time machine backup i see the the new imac storage is usedso if i do the transfer manually
i will make double storage
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i see icloud drive and options
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
options on the right side
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
account details
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
set up family
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

You just need to transfer those files that were in iDisk folder of older Mac. It is possible that the files are already transferred to newer Mac. On the new Mac, click on Finder, then click on Go menu and select Home. This will bring Home folder. Check all folders in there and do you see any folders from iDisk there ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i dont see my flies becuse all my files where saved on idisk alias which was connected to the icloud
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but i i type a file name on the search i find it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am able to open it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but i dont know the why idisk alias doesnt work
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Again, both iDisk and iCloud are different. You are confusing between two.

On your Mac, go to www.icloud.com

Login to iCloud account click iCloud drive and do you see your files there ?

If not, they are somewhere on your Mac - stored on hard drive. Not on Disk. We need to find their location. Search the file, open them in Finder, then right click on that file and choose Enclosing Folder. This will open their original location

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my files are there
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
all the files on the icloud
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

See you have been using iCloud all this time not iDisk. iDisk is long gone. Both things are different,

If they are in iCloud, then you can veiw them in Finder on your Mac. Open Finder window. In left side, you will see iCloud Drive. Click it and do you see your files ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when i click on icloud drive then idisk then i see all my files
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Sounds like you uploaded a FOLDER named iDisk to iCloud i.e you migrated your files from iDisk to iCloud.

Can you see them in Finder ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i click finder
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the folder name is ***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
now what i do when i click finder
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

In Finder, look on the left column. Do you see iCloud Drive ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Click on Go menu at the top bar and do you see iCloud Drive there ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i see
all my files
airdrop
hilal
documents
applications
desktup
downloads
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

In Finder, click on Go menu at the top bar and do you see "iCloud Drive" there ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
on go menu i see
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

That's it. Click on it and it will bring iCloud Drive in Finder. Do you see your iDisk folder there ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
i see Numbers and Keynote only
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
two folders only
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

In Spotlight search at top right, search the name of your files and it will load them there. Then click Show All. This will bring the files in Finder window. Right click on any one file name and select Show Enclosing Folder or Show Original location. Does it take you to a differnet location of the files ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the right clcik doesnt work when i select a file
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Right click will not work if you are right click on Spotlight search. You have to click Show All at top (in search pop up) and once the search results loaded in Finder window, then you can right click or hold down control key and do a normal click on the file and then you see those options

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i didnt get it
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Click on the magnifier icon at the top right. Search the file name nad it will show there. Don't open it from there. Instead, at top of that list you will see Show All. Click it and this will bring the results in Finder window. Now right click on it and choose Show enclosing folder or original location

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you have to click Show All at top
?????
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i see at the bottom " show all in finderi try to right click doesnt work
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Yes, Show All at top or Show All in Finder at bottom.

Doesn't it take you to the Finder window ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

In Finder window, right click on File name and do see your Show Enclosed Folder or Open file location or original location ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i did
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Do you see your files ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i do
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Where are they located ? In what folder ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
in oder calledAll my files
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

No, there must be in some other location like Home > Documents etc folder.

Hold down Command key and click on that file and it bring a popup showing where the file is stored. Tell me the folders you see

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Or you can just create a new folder on desktop or other location and move all those files from there to that folder.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have 3 million files
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
all my work from 15 years agoi why i have icloud drive
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

You need to find their original location. Hold down Command key and click on any one of your file and it will bring a popup showing where the file is stored. Tell me the folders you see in that pop up

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i open the file and i can clci right clickhow i can tell you where is this file located
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if i click get info this will help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
listen i want to share my device online with you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i nam tired of trying without solving the prblem
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The alias can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Right click on any one file, hold down option and you will see an option "Copy filename as Path".

Then paste here

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Right click on any one file, hold down option and you will see an option "Copy filename as Path" in the pop up menu.

This will copy the location to memory. Then paste here

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

See this arricle to know how to find the location of the files --> https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/copy-file-path-finder-el-capitan/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Users/Hilal/Library/Mail/V3/1ED76A40-3357-4C7E-AB92-3EFE23B86532/[Gmail].mbox/All Mail.mbox/5C0B7C15-1BEF-4724-9F9B-CBEA41D2A0FB/Data/3/2/Attachments/23223/2/prices for G654.xls
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Thanks. These files are not from iDisk. But from attachments you received from email

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Give me the location of another file that were in iDisk

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Users/Hilal/Desktop/shlomo Ness דרישות/טפסי מסירות חזקה נופי אפק/14א ליאור פרץ.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is that fine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Users/Hilal/Desktop/shlomo Ness דרישות/טפסי מסירות חזקה נופי אפק/14ב יגאל אברם.pdf
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Are you sure these files are from iDisk ? I can see that these are all stored locally on the Mac not on iCloud or iDisk

This file is locatied in Desktop.

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Open Desktop folder and you see this files there

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can you connect to my device and help me solve the problem
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

You said you can see your files there. So why do you want me to connect to your Mac now ?

You can not use iDisk alias. You have to delete it as there is no iDisk in El Capian

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i cant see my files
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it was through the email and not files
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

You have two options in here. You can copy the files from your old Mac (from iDisk folder) to your new Mac using external hard drive. Or you have to download files from www.icloud.com manually

I'm sorry. I'm out of ideas on this one. I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Can you do this and let me know ?

On your new mac, go to www.icloud.com from Safari.

Login to iCloud account. Click iCloud drive from the resulting screen. Do you see the files there that were in iDisk ?