Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

A while back a Netgear EVA9000 was given to me, but helas

Customer Question
Hi there, a while back...
Hi there, a while back a Netgear EVA9000 was given to me, but helas without CD software to install on my laptop.
I managed through your site to download the EVA software but I'm still expierencing major difficulties. The Netgear recognizes my laptop and vice versa, but I'm unable to send any files through wireless. I managed to type a message from my laptop to the Netgear box and it came through but nothing else. Can you help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
10/25/2016
Network Technician: bbao, System Administrator replied 1 year ago
bbao
bbao, System Administrator

Basically you mean your laptop can access the Internet via the new Netgear device through wired connection but not wireless, is it correct?

Are you still here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi bbao,no. this is incorrect. I have a media box from my internet provider, which acts as a router as well as tv receiver etc.
The thing is that I do not have the official installation software CD and I downloaded a program from the Netgear site which would do the trick as well. Unfortunately, although my laptop recognizes the Netgear box and the Netgear box also recognizes my laptop wireless, I am unable to send videos or pictures wireless from my laptop to the Netgear box. Hence, the movies I downloaded from the internet to my laptop I cannot transfer them wireless to the Netgear box.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

Hello, I am back. Let's continue please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello bbao?

I am here. Good evening in Netherlands? :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's almost half past twelve here (The Netherlands)

Oh, I am not sure it's good time for you to continue?

BTW, it's a sunshine morning here in Australia. :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem, good morning Down Under, it's after midnight here, but no worries. Can you help me?

Sure, let's start!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What to do? Do you understand my problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you're gone again?

Still a few things to clarify:

> The Netgear recognizes my laptop and vice versa

Can you ping the Netgear device from your laptop?

> but I'm unable to send any files through wireless​

Can you send files to the Netgear device over its wired connection?

> I managed to type a message from my laptop to the Netgear box and it came through but nothing else.

What kind of message are you referring to?

> Can you please correct the network topology in the given way below?

Internet <-> Router <-wireless-> Laptop <-wireless-> EVA9000?

No, I am here with you. I was typing the things to clarify... :)

BTW, do you really mean you are running Windows Vista on your laptop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I ping the Netgear from my laptop (no computer wizz here so you have to help me out)
Didn't try to send fles through a cabled connection (I want to do it wireless!)
There is this option within the Netgear application which I downloaded to my laptop, which reads "Get status on digital entertainers" When I press this option, a subscreen opens and within this sub screen there is an option to send a short message to the Net Gear Box (whatever text you wish to send) which appears on the TV screen.
Internet <-> Router <-wireless-> Laptop <-wireless-> EVA9000 is correct.
So is Vista....sorry......
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BTW, should you happen to have a legit Windows 10 version for me to install, FOC, together with a manual to install it, please be my guest and help this poor Dutch guy :)

> How do I ping the Netgear from my laptop

You need to know its IP address before pinging it. The IP address IP should be "visible" if you have access your local router (you need to know its username and password)

How to Ping: Open a Command Prompt window from Windows Vista, type "PING 1.2.3.4" and press ENTER, where 1.2.3.4 is the IP address of your Netgear device.

> a subscreen opens and within this sub screen there is an option to send a short message

Commonly, a Netgear application should be able to discover a Netgear device in the same subnet. If it can't, the most common situation is, connection issue (specifically for you case, wireless issue).

> Didn't try to send fles through a cabled connection (I want to do it wireless!)

That's well understood. It's just a test, as it will help us determine it is a wireless connection issue or an application level issue.

> to have a legit Windows 10 version for me to install

If would be helpful if you could have a Windows 10 computer in place. Windows Vista is a bit too old, I don't think it would work well with latest wireless standards (FYI - today is 802.11n age, the Vista age was for 802.11abg)

BTW, if you think the whole process is too technical for you, I am afraid we better do that in a remote session tomorrow which I could help you handle most things.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
???
Where should the IP addres be visible?
My router BTW is an all in one appartus which provides me with internet, television and phone, so I do nt have a stand alone router. I do have the IP address from the router but not from the Netgear box.
As I said, my laptop recognizes the Netgear box as drive H. My laptop displays the songs or movies the Neatgear box plays at that moment. So I do believe there is communication between laptop and Netgear box, it just won't transfer my files form my laptop to the Netgear box.
No Windows 10 at place, we will have t cope with Vista. Bear in mind that Netgear EVA9000 is as old as Vista itself...
today is 802.11n age, the Vista age was for 802.11abg) --> jibberish to me...sorry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you contact me tomorrow? I'm off to bed now.
Mail address is***@******.***
ty

> Where should the IP addres be visible?

The IP can be seen in local LAN DHCP status. (Not necessary because of below points)

>> The Netgear recognizes my laptop and vice versa

> my laptop recognizes the Netgear box as drive H. My laptop displays the songs or movies the Neatgear box plays at that moment.

Finally understood what the "recognize" means. :) That's good, that means your laptop is connected with the Netgear at File System level.

> Okay, talk to you tomorrow. Good night.

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer