bbao
bbao, System Administrator
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

I am trying to set up a Belkin F5D7132 Range Extender which

Customer Question

I am trying to set up a Belkin F5D7132 Range Extender which was working on my network but I reset it wanting to set security. The manuals and discs are nowhere to be found. I am on a MacBook. I reset it and now I am not seeing it at all. I have it plugged into our main router on an ethernet cable
JA: How many access points are you utilizing?
Customer: I have a Netgear main router, and a Linksys router as an auxiliary, and now this Blekin. It was all working until I decided to reset. I wasn't comfortable not having a security setting
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: What popped iup?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Reset it
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Hi There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Is this the product you are referring to?

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/p74992_f5d7132_man_uk.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't think you connecting to my device is necessary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the front of the Belkin I have a solid green power light, a flashing red searching light , a solid green sometimes flashing wireless and lan light
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

I am thinking what are the steps for you to reconnect the device, not to connect your computer. :)

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Good finding.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where are we on this discussion?
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Did you try using its Auto Connect Button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but I have an ethernet cable directly into the unit from a port on the mail router
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

mall router?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was all working before I reset it. Someone had set this up a while back and I don't have the disc. I tried to get in the unit using 192.168.2.254 but could not access it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You still out there?
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Is below your topology to test the extender?

<your computer> 1.1.1.2 <-> 1.1.1.1 <home router facing internet> <-> ?.?.?.? <extender> ) ) ) ) 1.1.1.3 <mobile device>

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

where <-> means ethernet connection while ))) means wireless

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

IPs 1.1.1.x are for example, the actual IPs like 192.168.x.x depend on your existing configuration. Please advise if you know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Right now I am computer <-> secondary router <-> extender ))) mobile device
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know the IP of my main router and secondary router.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you actually know what to do?
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

You do mean your computer and secondary router are now internet accessible. Okay, if so, please advise the IPs of your computer and secondary IP. How is your main router connected?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Main router is connected to the cable modem with an IP of 192.168.1.1
My secondary router is 192.168.1.4
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my ethernet connection on the mac is 192.168.1.10
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

What's the point for you to use 2nd router here?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in a church which is a large facility I need all three access points and it was all great and wronging until I decided to reset this damn Belkin to attempt to password ***** it. Maybe I should just go buy another router and set it up
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Because we don't seem to be getting anywhere
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That should read all working
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Okay, your main router is internet facing over its cable connection. your 2nd router sounds like working as an AP only, not a router if its WAN port is not connected at all. If this is the case, one your Mac, change its IP from DHCP to manual with IP 192.168.2.250.

Once done (changes applied), use your Mac's browser to visit 192.168.2.254, you should be able to see your extender's web console. Then change extender's IP to 192.168.1.5 if allowed.

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Once finished, change your Mac's IP back to Auto then you can access all routers and extender (192.168.1.5) at the same time.

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

I assume all masks are 255.255.255.0. If any device you mentioned is using a different subnet mask, that could be a problem. You must tell me the correct information.

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Done?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where do I make the change on the Mac? I assume under preferences but where and do I leave the hook up the way I described meaning Cable <-> router <-> second router <-> my mac and the belkin
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I believe all devices are subnet 255.255.255.0
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are we still connected?
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Check the screenshot attached. Change your settings per given example.

Be aware that once change to the given IP, you won't able to access the internet, you can only access the extender.

Change the extender's IP to 192.168.1.5, then change you Mac's IP back to Auto, then you can see all of them.

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Done?

Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.

Any feedback please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I gave up your advice wasn't working I just replaced the extender with a Linksys router which I understand better and they have great free phone support
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.
If you simply replace an extender with an AP (wireless router with no DHCP), it sounds easy and workable but it does have throughput issue (1/2 bandwidth wasted) when both legs (incoming and outgoing traffic) are wireless based. To avoid this issue, make sure the connection between the primary router and the AP is wired.
I guess your IP setting for configuring the extender was wrong (though you might think it was correct). hence you can't reach the extender's management IP address.
if the extender has no hardware issue and if remote access is available, I have a tricke to remotely configure it and get things done.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks I was not succeeding with your suggestions and could never get the extenders internal menu. Very frustrating but as mentioned I moved on and installed a Linksys router. The DHCP IS is disabled and the unit does have a direct Ethernet connection from the main router. The wiring is Ethernet port to Ethernet so LAN to LAN. It seems to work fine. Is there a disadvantage to this set up?
Expert:  bbao replied 10 months ago.
As mentioned in my previous comment, LAN to LAN wired connection has NO throughput disadvantage because the incoming leg from wireless clients and the outgoing leg to main router are on different. physical link.