Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have AT&T wireless internet and I have an RV that is in my

Customer Question
back yard and my wireless...
I have AT&T wireless internet and I have an RV that is in my back yard and my wireless is to slow. I found a belkin router I had used before and when I plug it in it has a strong connection but I forgot my password. Also does it have to be plugged in to the att motem for it to work?
JA: How many access points are you utilizing?
Customer: could you simplify what you mean by access points? soryy
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have the belkin router hooked up to the att modem into an ethernet port and in port one of the router I have my laptop hooked up to.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I havent troubleshooting because I cannot get into the belkin because I forgot my password.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just the ones. thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
9/25/2016
Network Technician: GeekGal, Network Administrator replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator

Hi there. My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. In addition my husband and I are avid campers. I work online so it is very important that I have a high quality signal. we always choose campgrounds with wifi, but find, like you did, that it is difficult to get a good signal in the camper, which is basically, a metal box. We solved our problem by purchasing a repeater which basically pulls in the signal and amplifies it. It may be possible to use your Belkin router as a repeater. If you can tell me the model number I will check for you. Also, once I know the model number I can provide instructions on resetting it to factory specs which will solve the password *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Version 1010 belkin enhanced wireless router

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to research. While I am researching you may want to visit this site http://www.technorv.com/RV_WiFi_Boosters_s/85.htm for information about various products that can boost your wifi signal thus increasing your speed.

Let's start with resetting the router to factory so it is usable to you.

Step 1:
Look for the Reset button of your router. The location of the Reset button may vary depending on the model of your router. In this example, the button is at the back panel of the router.
Step 2:

While the router is powered ON, press and hold the Reset button for 15 seconds.
Step 3:

Wait for one (1) minute for the router to restart.
Your Belkin router has now been reset to its factory default settings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then what do i do

Sorry for the delay. I was checking to find the default password ***** this router since we're resetting it to factory. They do not ship with a password ***** until you set one, just press enter when asked for a password. Here are instructions for using the Belkin router as a repeater:

Step 1

Double-check that all routers involved support wireless bridging. You can determine this by consulting the product documentation or by visiting the appropriate product page on Belkin's website.

Step 2

Connect a computer to the main router using an Ethernet cable. Be sure to plug the cable into one of the ports marked “LAN.”

Step 3

Open a Web browser and type the router’s IP address in the address bar. Some models use 192.168.2.1, but if this doesn’t work, consult your product documentation.

Step 4

Click the “login” link, enter your password ***** you have one (the routers do not ship with passwords) and click “Submit.”

Step 5

Note the router’s MAC address listed under LAN Settings on the Status page. You might want to open Notepad or a word processing program and copy/paste the address into the document. Press “Ctrl-C” to copy and “Ctrl-V” to paste. The MAC address should also be printed on a sticker on the router itself, or on its retail packaging.

Step 6

Click “Channel and SSID” and note both the SSID and the channel number. You may wish to copy and paste this information as well.

Step 7

Click “Wireless Bridge” or “Wireless Bridging” on the left, located under “Wireless.”

Step 8

Check the “Enable Wireless Bridging” and “Enable ONLY specific Access Points to connect” box. If you don’t check this box, any router in range can act as a repeater, posing a significant security risk.

Step 9

Type the main router’s MAC address in the set of boxes next to AP1. Enter the second router’s MAC address next to AP2, which you can obtain from the unit itself or its packaging. If you have any additional routers to bridge, add their MAC addresses as well.

Step 10

Click “Apply Changes.”

Step 11

Repeat Steps 2-10 to configure the second router; however, in Step 6, configure the channel and SSID information to match the first router. Be sure to save your changes.

Step 12

Reboot both routers by unplugging their power cables and plugging them back in. Allow the units a minute or two to fully boot.

This is a bit technical. I'm not sure if you'll be comfortable with all of this. You could probably purchase a directional antenna that you can connect your rv computer to fairly inexpensively and improve the signal significantly. They are available on ebay and amazon as well as at the link that I provided earlier. That link has some pretty good videos that explain why you have the problem and talk about ways to improve your wifi signal.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If I have, please kindly take a moment to rate my service, so I will receive credit for my answer. If you are not satisfied, please let me know so I can continue working with you or refer you to another expert. Please do not issue a rating until you have provided me with an opportunity to address any remaining questions or issues. Your complete satisfaction is my goal!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

Was the information that I provided helpful? DO you have further questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

No, it wasn't helpful or no you don't have further questions? If it wasn't helpful I can "opt out" and open the question to other experts so someone else can help. Please advise.

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator