Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Trying to access wifi on my tv with new modem/router and I'm

Customer Question

trying to access wifi on my tv with new modem/router and I'm getting "Local Access Fail" and "Internet Access Fail" looks like no signal but everything else looks good. My computer is fine. The router is in the house downstairs. All security codes and names are ***** ***** the router is recognized. how do i resolve?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

What is the make/model of the tv?

When you go into the wifi setup, did it see your wifi network name? Did it accept the password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sony Bravia KDL52EX701 and yes everything is set up properly
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay something is missing however, if it connects to the wifi, then you should at least get the local network connection properly. Internet may require some other settings,

are you sure it says local access fail still?

If so, please unplug power to both the router and the tv. Wait a few minutes, plug router back in first, wait a minute (enough time to walk back upstairs) and plug the tv in and reconnect to test again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It show wireless device OK but both local and internet access failed after i powered down and back up both tv and router.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Does it show an IP address in the network info?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does but it shows the DNS's are zeroed out and the MAC code is different from the routers MAC
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The mac will not be the same, which is normal.

Go into the dns, and manually change it to 8.8.8.8 and let me know if that helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
says invalid entry to check the IP address or default gateway entry. the ip address is 169.254.248.250 the default gateway is 0.0.0.0
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

that gateway will not work, and even the ip address is way off, it is not properly connecting to your router. Are you using some type of range extender or booster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a netgear 3000c? modem router in one. it is my old router that i lent to them downstairs because it was effecting my computer. this one worked fine before. with it plugged in my computer and other devices work just fine now with the exception of the tv.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
their old one was effecting my computer i should say. always losing the connection.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It is not providing a valid ip or gateway to the tv, and that coupled with the computer issues you had points to this being a faulty router

You can try updating the router firmware, but beyond that the router will likely need to be replaced, as that is the failure point here, not the tv.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why is everything else working better than ever then?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

A faulty router can still work with some devices, or have intermittent connections, but everything here points to a router fault. If it was working properly, the tv would be pulling a correct IP address, gateway, and DNS from it.

You can try taking the tv downstairs (or running a cord up) and physically plugging it into the router with an ethernet cable, even just temporarily, to see if it will connect and update that way, then test the wifi again after.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that won't be possible but thank you. i'll try replacing the router.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, after you do that if you get stuck or need more help, just let me know and I'll be happy to guide you through.

If you need some router recommendations I can advise on that as well.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in, were you able to replace the router, or do you need any more help?