comp_audio
comp_audio, System Administrator
Experience:  20+ years experience working in many different networking environments, and I am eager to help you.
44312836

I want to set up my netgear router as a repeater to my Ubee

Customer Question

i want to set up my netgear router as a repeater to my Ubee cable modem/router.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Netgear router?
Customer: not much
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: the step by step instructions are not working
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Networking
Expert:  comp_audio replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to review your issue and get back to you. Thanks in advance

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok

Please tell me the exact router model #?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Master/Cable Modem/Router: Ubee: Serial Number : CAG2R46901100
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Slave: Netgear N750 Wireless WNDR4300

So are you able to access the Admin and Advanced Settings of the routers webpage?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i need help knowing what to change and where to find it in the settings.

Select Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Repeating Function to display the

Wireless Repeating Function screen.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok i am in there

Select the Enable Wireless Repeating Function check box and select the Wireless Base

Station radio button.

Enter the MAC address for one or more repeater units.

Click Apply to save your changes.

Once those changes are done, click to reboot your router. Then come back and let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok - give me a minute
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is making me update the channel. and remove the security options. what channel do I select? and do I select 'none' for security options? also - do I select to enable wireless repeating function for the 5GHZ too? it is dual band.

You will need to do it for both, but before you continue, I want to ensure, this is not your main wifi router correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
correct. I am cabled from the Netgear (slave router) directly into my Mac and i went to an ip address that took me to Netgear Genie to config...

So you have another Netgear that is your main or host router. That Host router in turn is hooked directly to your internet hose modem right? And then you have the router your working on right now, its an additional router that your simply wanting to have it push your wifi signal as though it is a repeater?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The main/host is a Ubee cable modem/wireless router....and yes connected to the internet. Yes I want the netgear to be used as a range extender (slave) of the Ubee..

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to be sure is all.

Then you need to run a hardware from your UBEE to the Netgear, wherever you want it to bem then set it as a we discussed earlier.

I would start off first of all resetting the Netgear to factory settings, reboot it, then go through and make the changes. Leaving all the other settings as default. You should not have to worry about making any other changes except for putting it into repearing mode. For both channels.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
let me try it

Okay, Ill be here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they can have different network keys (passwords)?

Yes, both your 2.4 and 5 wifi networks can have different keys.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I try to enable wireless repeating, i am getting this message: "To operate as a Repeater, please setup a new IP address of this device, then you can configure this device via this new IP address in the future"

Under "Network" it is most likely setup to obtain its IP via DHCP, and its just saying to set it up as an Static IP. That way should you ever want to change anything you will know what IP address to use. For example, most host routers use something similar to 192.168.1.1 and then assign IP addresses outside that range to all devices that connect to it. I myself would make the IP, if it is similar to what I show for example to 192.168.1.5.

That way, if you need to make changes to the Netgear later on, you open your browser, and put in 192.168.1.5 as the address and it will take you to the routers page to make the changes.

Hoping to get some good news back from you?

Did we get your router working again?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately, no. As you probably figured out - I ran out of time yesterday afternoon. I will try again hopefully on Friday. The netgear router config page kept popping up error messages that I was trying to address...for example requiring me to enter MAC address of the main Ubee router....

If you like, when your ready, I can offer to do a remote assistance session, in which I would remote into your pc, and assist with making the necessary changes while you watch. Then we can make sure all is working as needed. There is an additional fee, but that way it is done fast and correctly. If not though you will be able to continue to work with me like we are, it will just take longer is all. Either way is fine with me. Just let me know your preference.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok. let me think about it. I am not home today.

No worries. I am usually here all day from 9am to 4pm CST Monday through Friday, and by appointment Saturday and Sunday. So just keep me in the loop. I will ping you daily to check in and keep this ticket on the top of my list. Then when your ready I will either continue as we have thus far or send you the Remote Assistance service request if you prefer to go that route. The additional fee will only be $25 in addition to what your already paying if you want to go that route.

Thanks and talk to you again.