Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

My internet is not working on my PC. it is working on my

Customer Question
Hi, My internet is not...
Hi, My internet is not working on my PC. it is working on my laptop and iphone but not on the PC. Tried with ethernet as well as wifi , seems to work on other devices but not on the PC
JA: Have you tried unplugging your router for about ten seconds? And what about other devices? Do they have connectivity?
Customer: Yes, other devices have connectivity
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried different router and tried restarting both routers and PC and also tried different ehternet cable
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: thats all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
8/28/2016
Network Technician: GeekGal, Network Administrator replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. I'll need to ask a few questions in order to best assist you.

Have you ever been able to connect to the internet with this computer?

You mentioned that you had tried a different router. Can you describe your setup to me please. What type of internet service do you have? Dsl, cable, or something else? Do you have a modem provided by your internet service company? If so, what brand and model is it? Do you have a wifi router connected to the modem? What brand and model is the wifi router? When you switched routers were all of the other devices still connected?

With the original router, after making sure that other devices are in fact online, please connect an ethernet cable to the back of the router and to the ethernet port on the computer. Take a look at the back of the computer. Do you see any lights near the ethernet connection.? Are the yellow or green?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have been able to connect to the computer previously. I just moved to a different location and since then its not working.I have a FTTH fibre optic internet connected through a Edimax 9dbi router and the fibre optic is connected to a Huawaei modem that is connected to the routerThe internet seems to work fine on another windows laptop through wifi, same for if the wifi is connected to my iphone or mac book pro. But when i conenct to the different Windows PC in question, its not workingSometimes it works, other time it does not, Right now it started working again, but i dont know for how long.

Do you think it might be possible that the wifi signal is not strong enough in the location that you have moved it to? If it is further away or or if there is steel, concrete, or even air-conditioning vents and returns between the new location and the router, that can have an impact impact on your Wi-Fi coverage. If you think this might be the case, you may want to consider using a wifi booster ( also known as a wifi repeater, or range extender) placed halfway between the router and the new location.

One possible way to test for this is to take the laptop to the same location and see how strong the connection is on the laptop.

Something else you might try is repositioning the router.

Please try this and let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, its not an issue with the signal strength as the wifi router is right above the computer. In the same location the laptop and phone seems to workThe internet has actually suddenly started to work again on the computer but occasionally some webpages dont open and i have to refresh a few times before it loads up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have attached screenshot, this is the error or similar error i get sometimes....even on hotmail, even on thus justanswer website and many othersbut they seem to to work perfectly on a laptop on the same internet at the same location. But on the PC its giving this error on most websites. They seem to only work after 4-5 times me refreshing the page

If you'd like I can connect to your laptop and then to your desktop to compare dns settings, etc. to see if they are the same and if not to make any needed changes. The symptoms that you are describing are indicative though of a weak or spotty connection. It is possible that the wifi adapter in the laptop is of a higher quality than the one in the desktop. If the desktop is on the floor you could try moving it a table and adjusting the antenna on the wireless adapter. Sometimes even small adjustments in the placement of the wifi receiver and the wifi transmitter (the router) can make a difference. The strength of a wifi signal can fluctuate due to interference from other electronic devices, or due to the number of other devices attached to the network. You might want to try running a speed test on both devices, the laptop and the desktop. That comparison will help you to see if there is a significant difference in the quality of the connection between the 2 devices, as a poor quality connection will produce lower connection speeds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, Right now i see 5 full signal bars on both laptop and desktop. Desktop is on a table and the router is on top of the router. Even when i connect router to computer through ethernet , same issue

Connecting to the devices remotely and working on them while you watch would also allow me to see what adapter is present in each and see if there might be driver updates available for them that could help them to work better, or to recommend a different type of network adapter that might work better. Unfortunately that's about the only way I can think to investigate specifics. Otherwise I am limited to general recommendations. I can offer a SECURE REMOTE ASSISTANCE session at a discounted rate if that would help. It's normally $39. I can cut it in half to $19 if that would help.

If you'd prefer a second opinion rather than a SECURE REMOTE ASSISTANCE session please let me know and I will opt out so another expert can weigh in.

That is interesting that you have these issues even when it is connected to ethernet. That tells me that we should look at dns settings, gateway, etc on the laptop and replicate them on the desktop. We should also perform some general maintenance on the desktop to see if that might help. And perhaps check for driver updates for ethernet port as well as for wireless adapter.

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer