Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I need to Access my router from my computer and ensure the

Customer Question
ports 80 and 443 are...
i need to Access my router from my computer and ensure the ports 80 and 443 are unrestricted mac time capsule. No idea how to do this
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: macbook pro osx el capitan
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: try to open it through time capsule
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2016
Network Technician: GeekGal, Network Administrator replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. In order to help I'll need to know what specific type of router you have, brand and model.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Alison
Router: time capsule
Computer: macbook pro OS X El Capitan
My problem is belowLS,
Problem: internet connection with arlo camerasI have 2 base stations with 8 cameras. It worked perfect for about a 1/2 year. Then suddenly 7 days ago simultaneously the connection with internet gave problems (ON BOTH STATIONS). I got an error message on both phones: Sorry, you cannot be contected to internet. Do you want to try again.Interestingly, when I turned off my wifi on my ihphone I could connect and see the camera, but the cams do not autorecord anymore.I turned my iPhone off and on. Took out the power on router and base station without success and at last I did a hard reset and now I have nothing anymore.
I tried to reconnect a camera: the green light on the base went on (3 lights are green), but no view.Important to know: I cannot log into the app on the phone unless I turn off my wifi connection on the phone.Also when I was in another country I could connect a device (but I did not had it with me).
Therefore I suppose there is some software issue/connection to internet issue.Then I contacted netgear from the devices. They suggested all kinds of resets and installation. I did all that and now am further form home as I cannot connect at all.The netgear adviced me to see if ports 443 and 80 are open.
I have a time capsule and macbook pro OSX ElcapitanWhen I open airport utility, nowhere I can find these ports.¥ Access your router from your computer and ensure the ports listed below are unrestricted on your network. See the user guide for your router if you need assistance.
TCP port 37
TCP port 80
TCP port 443
TCP port 1413
TCP port 2190
TCP port 4430
TCP port 5222
TCP port 5223
TCP port 5254
TCP port 5354
TCP port 7287-7297
TCP port 8000
TCP ports 8080-8089
TCP port 8101
TCP port 8102
TCP port 8181
TCP port 8200
TCP port 31339
UDP port 37
UDP port 123
UDP port 2190
UDP port 5353
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also based on our diagnostic tool here, the base station is removed from the account and since you said that it worked when you are out of the country, kindly open ports 443 and 80 on your router settings so that we are sure that it is not blocked. Please seek assistance with your internet provider for this.Regards,
Marry
Expert ID 46361
NETGEAR Support Expert
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there?

I am here. I am a little confused. I am researching to try to come up with an answer for you. My confusion lies int he fact that an Airport Time Capsule is a wireless hard drive that works with Time Capsule on your MAC to wirelessly back up your MAC. I was not aware that it could function as a router. I believe the Netgear is your router.

Please open a browser window on your computer so we can access the Netgear router and check to make sure that those ports are open on the router itself.

The address is one of the following by default:

• http://192.168.0.1
  • http://192.168.1.1

Please try this and let me know the result. You will need the user name and password ***** login to the router.

If you'd like, I can offer the PREMIUM SERVICE of a SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION. This will allow me to see exactly what is happening on your computer and to work on the problem while you watch. This is completely optional. If you do not choose to take this service, I will walk you through a solution step by step here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you are right
I have a vodafone model HG658c

It sounds like you have a fairly complicated system. The vodaphone is a wirless modem but it can be setup for wifi access as well. Can you tell me what type of Netgear device you have? I need to thoroughly understand your setup in order to give you the best possible instructions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
netgear base station model vmb3000

Thank you. Is the netgear connected to the vodaphone?

I believe that the only expedient way to resolve this would be for me to connect remotely to your computer and then connect to the vodaphone and to the netgear through your computer. It would be wise to make sure that those ports are open on both devices. I will send an offer for the Additional Service. If you'd rather not do that let me know and I will opt out so another expert may pick this up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As you can imagine, I find it an unpleasant idea that someone I do not know get full access of my computer

I do understand that you might find that rather scary. You will be able to see everything that I am doing and you will be able to terminate the session at any time if you are uncomfortable. We will also be able to chat as I work.

If you decide to do this, I'll also need for you to tell me how your devices are connected to each other (for example which base station the time capsule is connected to, which one your computer is connected to, which one cameras are connected to) and how they are connected (wirelessly or via ethernet cable).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
by the way
nothing happens when I try this you suggested:Please open a browser window on your computer so we can access the Netgear router and check to make sure that those ports are open on the router itself.The address is one of the following by default:http://192.168.0.1
http://192.168.1.1

Is the Netgear device connected to your computer?

I am opting out so another expert can assist you, if they choose to do so. To be honest, a situation this complicated is worth much more than the payout. I wish you the best of luck. You will be notified when another expert picks up the question. Have a nice day!

Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 1 year ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician

I am the person that will be helping you today.

Do you still need help with this? If so, may I start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can fix this for you?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
dear Jason
I do not like someone I do not know to take over my computer.
In addition, The service you guys provide up till now did not offer any solution, despite my paying 24 dollar. Instead, several times I get the advice to pay more with zero guarantee that the problem will be solved.
I cannot imagine my problem is unique in the world and that no simple solution can be offered.

I have remoted into computers scores of thousands of times with no problems; however I understand your anxiety towards this. There is 100% guarantee that your problem will be fixed; otherwise, you can get a full refund. I offered the remote session as an option because the previous expert gave you the instructions, but you were not able to make them work. I suppose I could give you the same instructions as earlier, but I would prefer not to.

- Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
certainly the same instruction will not help

I agree. Please, describe to me how your network is setup. (ie: What is plugged into what?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Router: Vodafone HG658c home gateway
aged in: pluNetgear base stations for arlo wireless cameras. netgear base station model vmb3000

What is plugged into what? Does it go Internet > Vodafone > Netgear > Cameras? Or does it go Internet > Vodafone > Cameras?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Vodafone -> netgear ... Wireless camaras

You will probably need to setup the port forwarding rules on both the Vodafone and the Netgear.

Please, check what your IP Address is and let me know what is listed as the default gateway.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
190.88.163.6810.0.0.1

Where did you get that information? I ask because the IP and gateway you gave are not possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
through internet
where should I find it?

Please, follow the instructions below:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left of the screen
- Click System Preferences
- Double click the Network icon
- Click and choose the network adapter that you use to connect to the Internet
- Click the "Advanced" button.
- Click the TCP/IP button
- What is displayed in the IP address and Router fields?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10.0.0.6 ip4 address
10.0.0.1 router

I am assuming that the 10.0.0.1 address is the Netgear address.

- Click the following link and log in: http://10.0.0.1

Username: admin

Password: admin

- Navigate to the firewall section and open the needed ports.

After that is complete, click "Status" and tell me what is listed for the WAN IP address. Now you have to go to that IP address (wan IP), log in, and open the needed ports on that device.

After you do all of that, you will be all set.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tried it several times: You have failed to login 3 times. Please login again after one minute.

Okay, perhaps you are trying to log into the Vodafone router.

Enter the following entries:

Username: vodafone

Password: vodafone

Does that allow you to log in?

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer