Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am trying to open port 500 so that two of my computers can

Customer Question
talk to each other JA: Just...
I am trying to open port 500 so that two of my computers can talk to each other
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Generic PC, using Win 10
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am trying to get some simulation software to talk to each other over a network, the instructions say that I need to open port 500, I don't know how to do that
JA: The network expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No if I can get this sorted then that will be fine
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
8/16/2016
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 1 year ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. What's the name of the simulation software.

Right-click the start button and open Control Panel

In the upper right corner set "View by" to small icons (it may already be set to that)

Open Windows Firewall

In the upper left select Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall

If you don't see the app listed click Change Settings

click Allow Another App

and browse to the executable file that launches the software and Add it.

You'll need to do this on both machines.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows Firewall is turned off on both machines and i can see the programe exceptions on both computers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to know how to open "Port 500"

What's the name of the simulation software?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lockheed Martin P3D
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am trying to get software called ASN to connect to it (Active Sky Next)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The instructions say "use any port you wish to enable for SimConnect communications. We suggest port 500. This port will need to be enabled in any software firewall programs you are running (including windows firewall). Example: <Port>500</Port>"
However doesn't tel you how to do this?

If the firewall is turned off Windows isn't blocking it.

How are these computers connected?

Are they both connected to a router, either by wire or wirelessly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
connected to a router (wired) Router model: NETGEAR R6250
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, you still there?

I am. There seem to be some difficulties with our network.

You'll need to set up port forwarding on the router so that it send traffic on port 500 to each computer.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046/~/how-do-i-configure-port-forwarding-on-routers-with-the-netgear-genie-interface%3F

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer