Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have a 110 block that the builder did not label at all

Customer Question
..... There are 7 Cat5e runs...
i have a 110 block that the builder did not label at all .....
There are 7 Cat5e runs terminating in the block. Each has all 4 pairs terminated in the block and then connecting blocks cross connect or "daisy chain" them.
I have 5 Cat5e outlets for phone. The house is wired with alarm also.
My assumption is that 5 of the cat5 runs are to the phone, one is coming in from the alarm system and the other is connectivity to the SBC demarc?
In any case, I am wondering how I can determine what cable goes where without disconnecting everything from the 110 block. Running a current through any line won't test anything as they are all cross connected at the 110 block ....
My intent is identify 4 of the runs and disconnect them from the 110 block, add connectors and plug them into a router, basically exchanging four voice lines for data. But I have no way to determine which 4 are the one i want to seperate out without dismantling the entire 110 block.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
7/10/2016
Network Technician: BigDish101,
 replied 1 year ago
BigDish101

The easiest way is to invest in a tone generator and probe. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8134

You could also disconnect one pair at a time and check everything and see what no longer works. Generally the main phone lines are the blue pair, and the orange pair is generally used as line 2.

Network Technician: BigDish101,
 replied 1 year ago

BTW, it is possible to have both phone and data in the same CAT5 as long as you don't need gigabit.

Non-gigabit (10/100) cat5 eithernet connections only use two of the 4 pairs. So it's possible to use the blue pair for phone and the orange and green pair for data. You'd need dual jack outlets and seperate the pairs at the outlets. Blue pair to center two pins of a RJ11 or RJ12 phone jack on top and the green pair to pins 1 and 2 and the orange pair to pins 3 and 6 of a RJ45 jack on the bottom.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i understand the probe to test continuity ... but as I mentioned at the 110 block the lines are chained or interconnected.I am looking for a way to identify what line is going where without disassembling the 110 block connects.On data I am using gigabit so I intend to just dedicate lines to either voice or data.
Network Technician: BigDish101,
 replied 1 year ago

With them all tied together there is no way to determine which goes where. You would not need to disconnect all 8 wires for each, one pair would be fine. Disconnect 1 blue pair at a time and put a toner on it.

BigDish101
BigDish101
BigDish101