Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Have a VoiP phone through 8x8 that I want to connect to my desktops ethernet port.

I dont have coax outlet...
Have a VoiP phone through 8x8 that I want to connect to my desktops ethernet port. I dont have coax outlet in my office that I just moved into and the modem is in another room. Running wirelessly right now on my desktop.
I bridged the LAN/Wireless connections and actually got the phone to work, but then I started getting the 'duplicate IP' error. I was on the phone for 20 minutes and then it just cut out completely. I could hear the caller, but he couldn't hear me.
Is there a way I can get my phone working on this port without causing an IP error?
Using Windows 10 Pro
.11a wireless
Polycom phone from 8x8
6/29/2016
Benjamin Larson

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help you with your question. My understanding is you have a voip phone that is getting a duplicate IP error. Are you using DHCP or static IP's for your network? If you don't know what I'm saying, what I'm trying to ask is if your network gives out IP addresses for things or do you have to program them manually? My guess is the network has two devices sharing an IP address. I'm not sure how much networking background you have, so if I'm being too simple or talking over your head, just let me know and I'll try to shift what I say so we can work together easiest on this. I think this will take a little bit of digging, but shouldn't be too bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

You can talk nerdy to me to a pretty decent degree.

Auto DHCP

And yes to your assumption. I have the phone plugged into the ethernet adapter and my computer is using WiFi to connect to the modem in the other room.

Sounds good Clyde - You should be able to check in the router (or router/modem if that's what you have) what IP addresses are assigned to each device. If it was me, I would see if what the router says matches what devices you have. Assuming you haven't done this already.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I stepped away from that computer for a few, I'll look when I get back.
But both the phone and computer say duplicate IPs. Internet actually cut off (well the wireless did) when the phone booted up.

Yep, sounds like you have a computer and phone fighting.

You can resolve this a few ways, depending on your preference.

• Reserve your router to factory settings and setup your network again. This could be a real pain depending on how many things you have setup.
  • Switch to using static IP addresses
  • Go into your router and release the reservation on that IP for both devices while they are powered off and then reboot them. If you only have one computer on the network, then leave that on to do this step, but power the phone off.

I can walk you through this here, or over the phone or in a remote session. Just let me know.

Hi Clyde,

Did the information I provided help? Do you need more information or assistance? Please let me know!

If I've answered your question, I'd greatly appreciate it if you would rate my answer. If you still need help, just reply here and I will help you.

Benjamin Larson
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the delay.... I had a friend come over who was better than I at this stuff... He took care of it.

Awesome, glad you got it working! Have a great weekend!