Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have no internet connection on a PC that uses wireless. I

Customer Question
I have no internet connection...
I have no internet connection on a PC that uses wireless. I do have working laptop using wireless. PC is windows vista and shows no internet connections available, getting message that dependency service failed to start. Also when trying to set up a connection it displays the wizard cannot continue....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
6/26/2016
Network Technician: Pete, Networking Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Networking Engineer

Hi there,

The error message "The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start" is a generic message addressing Windows services issues.

This can arise if your anti-virus protection is getting confused and mistakenly identifies a Windows file as being infected with a virus. In its efforts to remove the supposed virus, it corrupts the Windows Network Location Awareness service. This service collects and stores network configuration information for the network and notifies programs when this information is modified. If this service is stopped, configuration information might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any service that explicitly depends on it will fail to start. Hence, the error message that a dependency service failed to start. The Network Location Awareness service is found in nlasvc.dll which is located in the system32 directory.

To fix this, the corrupted system file, nlasvc.dll, needs to be replaced with a working version of the file.

If you need to delete or overwrite a system file in Windows Vista, you'll notice that you cannot delete system files, even as administrator. This is because Windows Vista's system files are owned by the TrustedInstaller service by default and Windows File Protection will keep them from being overwritten.

However, there is a way that you can get around this: you need to take ownership of the files, and then assign yourself rights to delete or modify the file. For this, you can use the command line:

First, open an administrator command prompt by typing cmd into the start menu search box, and hit the Ctrl+Shift+Enter key combination.

To take ownership of the file, you'll need to use the takeown command.

At the command prompt type: takeown /f c:\windows\system32\nlasvc.dll

That will give you ownership of the file, but you still have no rights to delete, move and rename it. Next, you need to run the cacls command to give yourself full control rights to the file:

At the command prompt type: cacls c:\windows\system32\nlasvc.dll /G your username:F

Make sure that you replace "your username" with your username exactly as it is spelled for the currently active user account on your computer.

At this point, you should be able to change the file. Rename the file from nlasvc.dll to nlasvc.dll.old. Next, copy the new source file that you downloaded from above to c:\windows\system32.
You can copy the nlasvc.dll file from your working laptop, or you can download it from https://www.dllme.com/dll/files/nlasvc_dll.html
Once the file has been replaced you need to set the permissions back to its original state. Locate nlasvc.dll in c:\windows\system32 in the Windows File Manager. Right mouse button click on the file and choose Properties.

Click Security tab; Click Advanced button; Click Owner tab; Click Edit button; Click Other User or Group and type in NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller.

Press Ok on all dialogs until all property dialogs are closed. Restart the PC and all should be good again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am unable to open the copied file from the laptop.

You don't need to open the file, just copy it into the c:\windows\system32 folder.

I notice you have requested remote assistance, however I won't be able to do this for you remotely unless you can get me connected to the PC.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Under the Admin command, when i try to copy, I try to paste and nothing gets entered.

Ok, could you get me connected to the PC using a wire so I can assist remotely?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. will need a few minutes, router is downstairs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tried to plug into dsl, still says wizard cannot continue...

Ok, then you will need to try again yourself..

ensure you are selecting the correct drive letter, etc...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My download is off the laptop, then to a thumb drive, then downloaded to PC, then download drop down menu, opened, then copied but wont paste into command prompt

You cannot paste into a command prompt - you will need to type the command.

Does it work when you type it?

Pete, Networking Engineer