Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am trying to connect my Sony Blu-Ray Disc/DVD player to my

Customer Question
wireless but it will not...
I am trying to connect my Sony Blu-Ray Disc/DVD player to my wireless but it will not connect. My computer is connected, but when I try to connect my Blu-ray disc/TV, it will not connect to the network. I used to be able to, but I tried it yesterday and it will not connect. I am not very tech savvy so please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
6/6/2016
Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 1 year ago
Nathan, System Administrator

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model of your player?

When you go into the settings on the bluray, does it see any wifi networks?
Does it give you any particular error code?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The model is BDp-S100 and it says it is connected to the internet, but it will not connect to the network. I used to be able to connect, but I had to reset my wireless and now it is not working on my sony Blu-ray, but it is working on my computer. What seems to be the problem?

That actually sounds a bit backwards, are you sure it doesn't say connected to network, but not connected to internet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I run the network connection diagnostics, I get the message that it cannot communicate properly with DHCP server. What does this mean? I have actually reset my router when my computer had to be reset back to factory conditions and I can get my computer and printer to work wirelessly now, but I cannot get my Blu-ray player to work. What is my problem?

That means that it is not properly getting an IP address from your router, so it cannot connect to the network.

How far is the router from the player?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is the same distance as my computer. You are NOT helping the situation any?

I need to get some details from you to properly diagnose the problem, to ultimately resolve it.

Can you tell me the actual distance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only about a dozen feet or less

Okay, this could be an issue with the router, or the player.

The most likely issue is that the player needs to be updated before it can reconnect.

First unplug power to your router for 60 seconds, and do the same with the player.

If you still can't connect at that point, I need you to (at least temporarily) plug the player directly into your router with a wired conection (ethernet cable).

Then go into the player settings and look for the Software Update function and run that.

After it connects and updates, you can disconnect the cord and try it on wifi again.

If that still won't work on wifi, we can consider some other options, including manual network configuration or a wifi bridge adapter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I go to the system information I see that the link connection status succeeded and the current IP address is correct, but the Provisioning server connection status failed, what does this mean?

Okay so that means it is on your home network, but not getting to the internet.

Go into the network settings on the player, and manually set the DNS server to 8.8.8.8

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am trying that but when the screen for ipv6 address comes up it says invalid ip address and it also has default gateway and primary DNS and secondary DNS. I cannot seem to get it change. You are not helping me and I am not paying $39 for you to do it! I am definitely not paying for this service if you just keep telling me to change something and I cannot get into it.

Anything you are seeing about phone or remote service is an automated advertisement, not sent by me personally. It would not be possible to access your player remotely anyway.

I have no way of knowing what you can access or not, as I am not there to see it myself.

You should not be in ipv6 at all, it should be an ipv4 address.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 like you said and I tried the network update and I am getting the message that connection status cannot be confirmed and cannot communicate with server. Please try again later. What is wrong? I have been communicating for the last couple of hours with you and getting nowhere. Why? Do you not know the system on sony Blu-ray

There are many variables here, and I am reliant on you to follow with me through multiple steps to diagnose the problem and attempt to resolve it.

I am sorry that it is not a quicker process. As you do not appear interested in continuing to work with me to resolve this, I'll opt out of the question.

Best of luck to you,

Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there and welcome Shelly

Can you tell me please the make and model of your wifi router?

Thank you

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer