Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

An IT support person installed a new server on our network

Customer Question
and put it in its...
An IT support person installed a new server on our network and put it in its own domain separate from the domain used by the rest of the company (There are only 5 computers in this company and no need for separate domains as we all work together.) We want to disconnect this server from its own domain and to join it to the original domain. However when I start to do that, a message says the computer is a certification authority. So how do I fix that? And are there other hurdles I'm likely to cross on the way to reassigning this machine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
6/2/2016
Network Technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 1 year ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a networking pro who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Given that this server was just installed and you've no clients authenticating against it, you should run into no trouble removing the CA and reassigning this server to your domain.

To remove the certification authority:

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and click Server Manager.

2. Under Roles Summary, click Remove Roles to start the Remove Roles Wizard. Click Next.

3. Clear the Active Directory Certificate Services check box, and click Next.

4. On the Confirm Removal Options page, review the information, and then click Remove.

5. If Internet Information Services (IIS) is running and you are prompted to stop the service before proceeding with the uninstall process, click OK.

6. After the Remove Roles Wizard is finished, you must restart the server to complete the uninstall process.

Afterward, you can re-attempt to join the server to your domain and should experience no further trouble.

Thanks for your question! Please do let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thaks! I'm going to try this tomorrow AM. Will let you know how it works out.

Yes, please do! I don't anticipate you'll run into any issues at all, but would certainly like to know how it works out. If, by chance, you do run into something unexpected I'll be glad to assist further.

Hi again! It's been awhile since we chatted...I was curious if you were able to resolve your "certification authority" issue?

Thanks...I look forward to hearing from you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We did. thanks.
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro