Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

How do I recover a password linksys e2000 router that I

Customer Question

How do I recover a password ***** a linksys e2000 router that I purchased 4 years ago? It's been in storage for the past three years and I don't recall the password. My old systems (I-pad, laptop) still read and get access to the router using the guest password ***** i can't find what it is either.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

On a computer that is connected to the router via a network cable (you must use a network cable, the guest network will not work), perform the steps below:
- Click the following link ---> http://192.168.1.1
Leave the username blank
The default password ***** admin
(if that does let you in, use admin for the username and admin for the password)

-- If neither of the password ***** work, you will need to reset the router. I have included the instructions for that at the end of these instructions.
- Click the Wireless link (your network name is ***** *****)
- Click the Wireless security link (your wireless password ***** ***** here)

Using the network name and password ***** you obtained from the instructions above, reconnect to the wireless signal.

If you need to reset the router, follow the instructions below:
- With the power to the router on, press and hold the reset button with a pin or bent paperclip for 30 seconds and let go.

- On the computer that is connected to the router with a cable, go to http://192.168.1.1

Leave the username blank
The default password ***** admin

- Click the wireless link. From there, you can change the name and in the security page, you can change the password ***** your liking.

I look forward to your next message below or your rating on the top of this page (choosing of number of Stars and clicking the Submit button)

Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.

Thank you again,
- Jason

P.S. If you do not know the answers to any of my questions or are confused about something, please let me know by replying on this page.

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!"

My Profile page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now cannot access the Internet on my PC - wonderful.

That is because need to reconfigure the router. May I ask who your Internet provider is? Also, what is the brand and model name of your modem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Comcast/ Cisco Linksys e2000

In that case, it should work after the reset.

Please, do the following:

- Unplug the power to the modem & router.

- Wait 10 seconds.

- Plug the power into the modem only.

- Wait 5 minutes.

- Plug the power into the Linksys router.

- Wait 1 minute.

- Now test the Internet connection on the computer that is connected to the router.

Is there any change?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The router is now "Open"

Great, then you are almost done.

On the computer, do the following:

Leave the username blank
The default password ***** *****

- Click the Wireless link (your network name is ***** *****) You may change this, if you wish.
- Click the Wireless security link (your wireless password ***** ***** here). You can enable wireless security on this page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click the Wireless security link it does not show password ***** a drop down list of security modes. WPA2, WPA2 Personal, etc

Choose one of the WPA2 options, enter your choice of password, and click the Apply/Save button.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go. I'll pick this up again later. Thanks.

Thank you. I will be here waiting.