Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

If my boy arrives this weekend he wants to know what my

Customer Question
hi, I am ***** *****...
hi, I am ***** *****. If my boy arrives this weekend he wants to know what my password ***** ***** I don't know what it is can you help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
5/26/2016
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there and welcome

This is for your wifi network correct?

And do you have a windows computer already connected to the wifi network?

Thanks

We can get the password ***** this.

Press the windows key + R and type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

Right click on the wireless connection and click on Status

Then click on wireless properties

Click on the Security Tab and then click on Show Characters and you can then see the wireless password ***** to use

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got all the way to the Wi-Fi and Ethernet files but when I right clicked on the Wi-Fi file it brought up a list of what I could do and status was whited out. I also notice the Wi-Fi said not connected

ok, then its not connected to wifi Patrick

Whats the make and model of the wifi router? And are there any computers connected to wifi?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the router is a D-Link model 6 55–DIR and I also have an Acer notebook attached to the Wi-Fi.

ok, then on the Acer do the instructions I gave to get the password ***** I repeated the, below

Press the windows key + R and type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

Then click on wireless properties

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this may take me some time as I have to start the Acer. Is this okay?

no problem at all

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I clicked on wireless properties, I did not get a security tab.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got a window which just says Internet networking for a tab.

I made an offer to do this for you Patrick as an additional service, is this possible as this would be easier for you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Window is Wi-Fi properties and just has one tab"I would still rather do this myself as it is a learning process for me which I enjoy!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the tab says Networking

ok, but the messages your sending to me are not very clear, and the first computer you said had wifi did not so I am not sure if this even has wifi...

You just do the instructions please exactly as I indicated

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did the instructions just exactly as you told me on the notebook but I could not come up with the security tab.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the networking

press windows key + R

type in

CMD

press enter

type in the black box

ipconfig

press enter

whats the default gateway address?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on which machine?

the acer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
on acer - no default gateway address

Does the Acer have internet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does

ok, there will be a default gateway then you may need to scroll up or down the list for it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, there is no default gateway. There is a wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi - a Tunnel adapter pseudo-interface - and a Tunnel adapter but no default gateway
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all of the above tried on my notebook. Shall I try on my desktop?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am connected to the Internet on my desktop.

It will be there if it has internet, its under IP Address and Subnet Mask if you are connected via wifi it will be in that entry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0 default gateway = 192.168.0.1

Thanks, ***** ***** this web address on the Acer

http://192.168.0.1

If your asked to sign in user admin as user and password ***** password.

Then go to the wireless settings and you see the password *****

Let me know the results please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am in D-Link on the Acer but I am unable to move from the status tab to any other tab1
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
therefore I can't seem to get to the wireless settings to get the password.

Close the Status bar in order to navigate

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't seem to navigate on the D-Link site!

Can you be more specific please on why not

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all I can do when I am on that site is move the window contents up and down. Nothing else works. I put my pointer on status to try and close it hit enter and nothing happens! I move my pointer to a different tab in the site hit enter and nothing happens no matter where I go on the tabs with my pointer I hit enter and nothing happens. Is that specific enough?

ok, I will request as we have been some time on this question, if you can accept my request to connect to your computer and do this for you. If not, I will have to opt out of working with you further as we cannot progress past this, and whilst I understand you enjoy learning about all this, the gial here is to get this solved for you, plus you can see what I am doing anyway.

Please let me know if you accept the additional service and I can connect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to spend another $29 on this.

No problem at all Patrick, I am going to opt out of working with you further on this.

If another expert takes up your case, then you will be notified of this, you do not need to do anything until then

Thanks and all the best

Richard, Network Specialist