Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How do i detect my ethernet settings

Customer Question
how do i detect my ethernet settings
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/15/2016
Network Technician: Kamil Anwar, Certified Networking Engineer replied 1 year ago
Kamil Anwar, Certified Networking Engineer
What is the issue you're having, these are detected automatically when the ethernet cable is plugged into the system.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BUT THEY ARE NOT BEING DETECTED AND I HAVE TO ENTER THEM MANUALLY
is obtain an ip address automatically selected?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
YES - I AM ON A PC RIGHT NOW WHICH IS NOT HAVING A PROBLEM BUT MY MAC UPSTAIRS WONT DETECT THE ETHERNET SETTINGS WHICH i HAVE TO MANUALLY ENTER.
What does it says in the configure ipv4 box?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
blank
choose using dhcp
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also blank - i have to manually enter settings
If it's currently connected to the internet, may i connect with you on the mac remotely to check this directly?
OR can you take a picture or screen shot and send it to me here?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no - it is on wireless and i don't want anyone on my computer. I asked a simple question which you are not answering - how do i detect my ethernet settings on my pc which is connected - if i can do that i can then manually enter those settings on my mac. If you can't answer that question, which was my initial question, this is a waste of time
You need to set it to pick ip from DHCP. If it isn't and you have the option set to pick it from DHCP, then you'll need to check your router to see if it has the dhcp option enabled + it has the ip range specified to cover the number of devices connecting to it. If it isn't showing the option to choose Using DHCP, then that is something which will need to be troubleshooted. I will open the question and open it to other experts, since i do not have any further ideas to try.
Network Technician: Cody, Senior Systems Administrator replied 1 year ago
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
on the computer that is working, go to the start menu --> search for cmd --> open this command prompt window type ipconfig --> look for ipv4 address subnet mask and gateway
Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer