Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have a netgear wndr3400 JA: Netgear issue, huh? Fortunately,

Customer Question
I have a netgear wndr3400 JA...
I have a netgear wndr3400
JA: Netgear issue, huh? Fortunately, the wizards we work with know tech inside and out, and I'd like to connect you with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i purchased a switch earlier today as I have three modems (my wife works from home and another from xfinity home security)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Network Technician should know?
Customer: while rehooking up my system, i accidentally reset my router
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Network Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
5/14/2016
Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 1 year ago
Nathan, System Administrator
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Since the router has been reset, it would need to be reconfigured if you want a custom network name/password, is that what you are wanting to get help with?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Nathan....So I have purchased a Linksys switch the other day. Reason being is that my wife works at home and has her own router for work. Her router had to be connected directly to the modem as the first point of contact. As our home is long, I need an extender... which is not allowed to feed of her work router. Due to this, I had a second netgear router plugged into her work router.... and it ran incredibly slow.Now with the switch, it appears that I am unable to connect more than one router. Initially, I thought it was an issue with my Netgear router. But now I see that it works perfectly fine if I plug it in first, but then my wife's router will not work.Can you please advise on how to plug in multiple routers into the switch and have them work? My wife's router is a Juniper SSG5. Is it possible that simply wont work with another router on the switch due to it connecting directly to her work network?
Lets take a step back - what is your primary internet connection (dsl, fiber, cable, satellite, etc), and how many modems do you have?Were you trying to use a switch off the modem to feed multiple routers?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my internet is from Comcast Xfinity. Can't speak to what "type of internet that is". Issue is that my modem (Arris SB6183) only has one direct bridge connection. When I link up the Linksys switch (SE3005) to it, there is still only one connection. Meaning that it first needs to go thru the router in order to create multiple connections. My wife's router (Juniper SS5) must be directly connected to the bridge, otherwise it wont work. Meaning I need to go back to my old set-up of hooking up my netgear router (WNDR3400) into her Juniper SS5.Main problem is how horrible slow my wifi is. Directly connecting a computer to the modem, my speed is 200mbps. Once it flows thru the Juniper, hard wire comes down to ~90mbps. Even in 5G, it's still coming in at 25mbps when I am sitting right next to it. Any thoughts on how to improve my wifi speed? I have already scanned channels and tweaked those, but didnt have much impact.
Thanks for the info.The switch is part of the problem. You can't split off a modem to multiple routers.You need one primary router to handle the traffic, that connects to the modem directly. this will be her router.You can then plug your own router off of that if needed.When you connect her router, or even your netgear, directly to the modem, you are going to cut the speed in half, limited to 100mb speed.This is because both of your routers are older models and are only capable of 100 mbps transfer speeds. To get anything better than that, you'd need to get a new gigabit capable router. Assuming, of course, that you would be able to make that the primary device.Have you considered just getting a separate connection?I'm assuming if her work provides the vpn endpoint (security router) then they are likely paying for the connection. You could get your own, separate cable modem line brought in from comcast (you'd have to pay for it, of course), but then could have your own speed as high as you want and use whatever components you want with it. No matter what the primary speed, you are going to be limited by the juniper, which has a lot of security processing steps that it does and that is always going to slow you down more and more with each device that is added. One other alternative you could possibly consider is asking comcast if they could provide you with a new combo modem/router, so it would have multiple lan ports. Her juniper can connect to one, and your router/switch to the others. You'd have to assign a DMZ port to her router to keep it free and clear for her work security needs.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.Nathan
Nathan, System Administrator