Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I am having problems connecting to my laptop with my Android

Customer Question

I am having problems connecting to my laptop with my Android as a remote ever since I got a new ISP, modem, and router.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have Goldworm remote and VLC remote. I use them to open files on my laptop and watch videos on my TV via HDMI. Now they won't connect. I bought a port forward program, but that didn't seem to help. The IP addresses are all static.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Network Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If, with the change of ISP, your base IP address in your local network changed, then even if the static IP addresses and their settings are all the same, your Android device won't be able to communicate with the TV. So go to your computer and do anifconfigif it is an Apple, or do anipconfigand see what theDefault Gatewayaddress is. That's the base address of your local network. If it's wrong for the static addresses, you will have to adjust them (on the TV and on the Android, and perhaps in the apps you are using) before they will work in the local network as it now is. For instance, if your previous modem and router gave you a Default Gateway address of192.168.x.yand if your current one gives you10.1.x.ythen your static addresses will have to be change from (for instance)192.168.a.bto10.1.x.bor the like. It's hard to describe in general terms, but I'll guide you with the specifics if you need it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally I'm able to continue our conversation. The website is confusing. It was saying
Lock access denied: you are not admitted to the category.Anyway, all apps have been uninstalled and reinstalled after i got the new network, which should set the default gateway to the current one. It also works intermittently, And I've tried it on a different computer.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that your access to this website was a problem at all... if that recurs, please contact Customer Support***@******.*** If it works intermittently, then something is wrong that is not likely to be configuration.Is the new network configured with a encryption key? if not, it could be being intruded into and that might cause interruptions.Is a cordless phone (as opposed to a cellular phone) in the vicinity?If the different computer also found the network intermittent, you may have a defective router.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It flawlessly connects to the internet, though.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That means it is configured OK. But you are saying that it often fails to 'get through' or deliver internet? or what is it that is the trouble?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 3 remote apps on my android device (Vuze Remote, VLC Remote, & Goldworm). They all ask for an IP address for the host program (which is on my laptop) and a default port number ( which is the same on the phone and the laptop) They all fail to connect. Only once in a while it will connect briefly.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What firewall software is on the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vuze is port 9091, Goldworm is 1028, and VLC is 8080.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just windows firewall. And they are all allowed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Does either device, your Android device, or the laptop, have any troubles with networking otherwise? internet access, etc. ? I have an idea: since it is access from an Android device that is at fault, then,before connecting remotely to the laptop, on your Android device:1. go to Settings2. go to Network Settings3. go into 2G/3G/4G settings, and disable 2G/3G/4G networking.4. make sure WiFi networking is enabled.When your data carrier is enabled, traffic there may interrupt the WiFi processing and cause the remote to either not establish, or to drop. If this solves the problem, please rate my answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No network issues other than the android connecting to the laptop.
I just tried turning off mobile data and it still won't connect.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try restarting the Android phone... and tell me what Android version is on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just restarted it, tried to connect after boot was done and still no connection.
The Android version is 6.0.1
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Do you connect to WiFi with your Android much, aside from this application?And it is not the connection to WiFi that is at fault, is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use Wi-Fi on my Android whenever I'm home. Wi-Fi works fine to connect to the internet, but not in my local network.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
So could it be a defective router then? if the local network is where the problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Because I'm getting good internet speed. It's a gateway.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then it isn't your Android's hardware, it isn't the laptop's hardware, it isn't the laptop's firewall, it isn't the router's firewall, it isn't the router's hardware and it isn't the configuration. Is there anything left, given that is the case? an infection in the Android software? Try an anti-virus for Android or two, doing full scans, if that seems plausible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm leaning toward blocked ports. Is there anyway to troubleshoot ports, open them, see what's using them, etc? If you don't know, I'd like to talk to someone who does.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Illicit software on your Android device might interfere with port access. Search, with web browser on Android, forGRC Shields Upand use that utility to check your ports some.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
This might be even better though, if you used it from the Android and aimed it at your laptop's remote-ing ports.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twistandroid.portscan&hl=en
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried both to no avail.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What happened? were all ports closed? or did the app not work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All ports were closed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If GRC Shields Up said that, it's good, but not indicative - that's all ports from the outside. Try running the port scan app I also recommended. It shows - if you aim it at your laptop's IP address - the port status there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows ports closed too.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Then that's your problem, I think: Your ports are closed so you cannot get into remoting. Check whether (in Control Panel - Security Center) any other firewall other than Windows Firewall is listed, on your computer... and let me know the result. I deduce there must be a responsive or 'adaptive' firewall you don't know about on the laptop. It sometimes is a little slow reacting - ?? - and only closes a port or cuts it off *after* you have tried to connect.You need to open the port or ports in that firewall also... and if there is an advanced firewall, then disable just Windows Firewall because two firewalls are worse than one. If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Your ports are closed so you cannot get into remoting. Check whether (in Control Panel - Security Center) any other firewall other than Windows Firewall is listed, on your computer... and let me know the result. I deduce there must be a responsive or 'adaptive' firewall you don't know about on the laptop. It sometimes is a little slow reacting - ?? - and only closes a port or cuts it off *after* you have tried to connect.You need to open the port or ports in that firewall also... and if there is an advanced firewall, then disable just Windows Firewall because two firewalls are worse than one. If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned Windows firewall off, which is the only firewall, and the ports are still closed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
With Windows Firewall turned Off, can you now connect readily and at the first try and for a while? remotely, via your Android device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no change. If I brutally keep trying, it will connect then lose the connection. This is the case with all three apps.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure the ports are not closed on your Android device, then? this sounds unlikely, but - unless you are connecting/remoting through your local WiFi router - there is no other firewall or port blocking to contend with.So - are you connecting/remoting through your WiFi router? if so, some port forwarding or port opening will be needed, in the WiFi router's admin setup.Either that or ports on your Android device need opening. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have forwarded all ports TCP & UDP to my laptop IP on my router's admin setup.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Does that help? I presume it doesn't. Then there's nothing left except the Android device. It must have those ports closed.How to open ports on an Android device's firewall is not clear to me.One reference states, "There is no way to open a port in Android specifically". What router do you have? is it a different box from the modem?