Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Problem PC Remote Desktop connectionI have a PC that

Customer Question

Problem PC Remote Desktop connection
I have a PC that can not connect to a Win 2008R2 server. The PC used to connect to the server. Speed test shows 25 mbs down and 6 mbs up.
I can connect to the same server using his credentials so the login\credentials are good.
What test can I do &\or should I trouble shoot so that this user can connect to the server?
He is connecting via a mobile hot spot, but as I stated, good connectivity and band width.
The PC has Win 7 Pro.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Brent Woolverton replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist you with your user's issue of connecting via RDP. I just have a few questions to ask so we can determine the issue. Is the user using a VPN connection to gain access within your network? If so, can he ping the ip address of the 2k8 server?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not using VPN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Waiting for your next step\response

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert has not respond to my reply for > 14 hours and > 7 hours since my asking when he would respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Taking too long to respond.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am the person that will be helping you today.Who is using the Hotspot? Is the person with the computer that cannot connect using the Hotspot?I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jason.

My users name is ***** ***** he has been using a hot spot for months. A speed test via speedtest.net shows 25 mbs down and 6 mbs up.

Hello Jerry, Just to clarify, he is the one on the hotspot, correct? Also, has he been able to connect to the RDP connection from the hotspot previously? - Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My user is using the hot spot and he has been using it for about 3 months.

Hello Jerry, Has your user ever been able to connect to and use the RDP connection while behind the Hotspot? Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he has been using a hot spot for months.

I am asking a different question. I am asking if he has ever been able to use the Remote Desktop Connection while using the hotspot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now stated that he is connecting via hot spot several times, including the original post!! Are you reading all of my posts?

Original post:

Asked by you on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:59 PM EST

Problem PC Remote Desktop connection

The PC has Win 7 Pro.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:47 PM EST

Hi Jason.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 7:11 PM EST

Expert:  derrickonline replied 1 year ago.
Jerry: It appears your previous expert has opted out. I've read through your communications and there seems to be some confusion. If you're interested in working with me, I'd like to start fresh as I tend to deal with things slightly differently. I know it's frustrating having to repeat something but as is the case when working with a chat/message board style function as we are. First let's make sure I understand the scenario... User is trying to RDP (Remote Desktop) to a server.User is using a hotspot.User is not connecting to a VPN first. Without a VPN I'm not sure how this user would RDP to your server unless you have a server with a public IP address and either no firewall, or a firewall permitting RDP access over the Internet (scary and unsafe). Can you confirm which is the case? Can you also state whether anyone else can connect to the server via RDP from OUTSIDE your network (i.e. a hotspot, or from home). Let's start there.