Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am using an Edgerouter running the latest software update,

Customer Question
version 1.8. I would like...
I am using an Edgerouter running the latest software update, version 1.8. I would like to be able to limit each device, connected via hard line or wireless, to a maximum upload/download of 128Kbit up and 512Kbit down. I would like to be able to apply to all IP/MAC addresses or individually. What are specific instructions for performing this task? Once this change is implemented, how do I revert, view or modify the configuration in case I want to change or remove the restriction.Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
3/21/2016
Network Technician: Tim, Sr. Engineer replied 2 years ago
Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer

Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.

which specific model? You generally can't throttle by IP....

Tim, It's an Edgerouter POE5. I did find this on the Ubiquiti website but it doesn't make much sense to me.https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911404-EdgeMAX-Set-traffic-policies-for-upload-download-and-VoIP

Gotcha, had to do some research. here is the blip of code needed per IP

"

set traffic-policy shaper EGRESS_QOS class 20 match NNTPS ip source address 22.22.22.22/32

set traffic-policy shaper EGRESS_QOS class 20 match NNTPS ip source port 443

set traffic-policy shaper EGRESS_QOS class 20 queue-type 'fq-codel'

"

As far as reverting, you would want to just copy and paste the current cfg to to notepad and save it......just like with every other network change you would do if you are not using a repository.

Good deal! So, can you give me detailed instructions for adding this policy via CLI. And of course, viewing the change after it's committed. And reverting in case it doesn't work.

You need to copy the entire CFG to your desktop and name to cfg.bak.......then copy it again and add in what you want, and then paste it in. Your probably have some gui options as well. This is a network cfg change, the steps for backing up are no different than any other. If this is production, i'd test it when no one is around, i'm not 100% that command is perfect. Your going to have to play with it, i've never used the device you are using but have plenty of others. Its going to take some fooling around with. VyOS is the OS on that device, so you can find more info as needed. The most important thing is to have a back up before you start, make sense? I Can't really give you a better walk-through than that unless i'm sitting there with you, in which case there would still be some plausible trial and error. Does that make sense?

and i believe the blip that is

set traffic-policy shaper EGRESS_QOS class 20 match NNTPS ip source address 22.22.22.22/32 <-----host 22 through 32

set traffic-policy shaper EGRESS_QOS class 20 match NNTPS ip source port 443 <------ Just for 433 in reality it is probably 443/80

I need to get going, please let me know if this at least gets you going. With every positive rating, I give free support going forward on the same issue, so I will be around all week from 12 MTN time to 7pm MTN (up late tonight) And I will be around to work with you.

Also viewing the change would simply be testing the speed on a end users IP......Just open network graph under task manager while streaming a video or what not.

i'm logging off, will talk to you tomorrow.

Ok, talk to you soon!

let me know how it works out.

Tim
Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer