Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Trying to connect versacamm printer cutter via cross over…

Customer Question
Trying to connect versacamm...

Trying to connect versacamm printer cutter via cross over cable as network has gone down with no date yet of coming back up

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
Paid
3/4/2016
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me the computer you're trying to connect the Versacamm to (Windows or Apple, etc.), and let me know what error you are encountering, or how far the process has gone before being obviously not-working.

I would of course advise you to install, on the computer, the appropriate network-capable driver for the Versacamm. (If none was ever written - hard to believe if it was a networked computer before - then the effort is hopeless.)

And, obviously, make sure the firewall software or security utility on the computer allows network communication with the Versacamm device at its IP Address... which the firewall might not allow and be blocking.

The IP Address needs to be allowed to communicate with the computer, of course.

Hi it's a lap top running Windows 8
I always run the printer through a network cable but the network has gone down
I have a cross over cable but want to know if I can connect the laptop direct to the versacamm direct with the cable

Try it. It may work. At worst, it will throw an error message, you will have to reinstall the driver, it may still throw an error message, and after that it may require yet another driver reinstall again before it will work with the network once the network is up and running again.

(If that answers your question, please rate my answer. Otherwise, please Reply letting me know how things turn out... and note any error messages, please.)

No it doesn't do anything when connected
No error messages are shown
It's like the cable isn't Connected

After connecting it, uninstall the driver for the printer (which will be pointing to the utterly unusable network address. So it won't look for the printer, won't fail to find it, and won't report any error. It will simply detect 'dead network connection'.)

Then reinstall the driver.

Still nothing

Then it seems it isn't possible, without your

A. adding the IP Address of the printer to your firewall's Allow configuration

and/or

B. getting a router box with 4 spare ports, or a hub with 4 spare ports (2 at least of either one, unused) and plugging the PATCH cable from the Versacamm, into one of the unused 4 spare ports, and the PATCH cable from the other unused of the 4 spare ports, to the computer. That's all the network you need.