Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

How do I get reconnected to the internet. message I'm

Customer Question
getting says 'unable to connect...
how do I get reconnected to the internet. message I'm getting says 'unable to connect to the internet'?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
3/1/2016
Network Technician: Harold Hanna, System Administrator replied 2 years ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, System Administrator

Hello Jim how are you today? How long have you been having this problem?

intermittent since late morning

How far away is your laptop from the router?

Don't know distance from router

Hello Jim I have accepted the request but it states there is a problem. Please ensure you are near your phone in case someone calls in an attempt to fix the problem. We can discuss this further in the mean time while we wait for this to be accepted.

When you say it is intermittent, is it fully connecting and working at some times, and then sometimes will disconnect? Or is it only partially working? Can you explain in more detail?

Are you there?
it is fully working at some times

I am here. I will continue attempting to accept the remote desktop request but it may take a few minutes to work. Is this a home network you are connecting to?

thanks any help will be appreciated
it is a home network

OK are they both connecting to the same SSID? How far away is the cable modem or device you are using for it to connect?

cable is close to my laptop and desk top

OK it is a cable modem? Is the desktop plugged in with a wired connection?

Have you tried a wired connection on the laptop from the cable modem to see if this assists your situation?

Network Technician: Josh, Helpdesk replied 2 years ago
Josh, Helpdesk

Hi Jim,

I see that you requested a remote services offer for this issue -- More times than not, the issue with intermittent connection requires a new router. If the connection is intermittent when you are directly connected to the router then I would suggest that you contact your Internet Service Provider for a new router.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Let me know if you are still available to further troubleshoot, for some reason the remote desktop session was not accepted. You may want to contact***@******.*** in an attempt to resolve what may be a billing issue. Regardless, we can continue troubleshooting here when you return.