Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My kindle fire dropped my wireless connection. The message…

Customer Question
my kindle fire dropped my...
my kindle fire dropped my wireless connection. The message is: Wi-Fi is turned on but not connected to a network.
VPN: securely connect to a private network.
It shows THAT I am locked out of my wireless
when I request to be connected it gives the following message. AUTHENICATION problem
Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
2/26/2016
Network Technician: Ashik, PC Technician replied 2 years ago
Ashik, PC Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you sure your are using correct WiFi password ?

I thought I was using the correct password..Where do I go to enter the password?

Authentication problem indicates either your password ***** ***** or the security type of router is incompatible. Since it worked on your network before, it must be the password ***** is wrong.

You need to forget that network and connect to it again. I will send you instructions for that.

Before that, I want you to verify you are using correct password. Do you have a computer there connected to your WiFI network ? If so, we can recover the correct password ***** that computer. Let me know

I have added what I thought was my password ***** it didn't work. I have my laptop connected to the network

What version of Windows are you using on your laptop ?

windows 7

First, get the correct WiFi password ***** your laptop. Follow the steps below to get the WiFi password ***** your laptop.

Click on the network/wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen (left to the clock)

From the list of networks, right-click on your wireless network name and click on Properties.

Then click on the Security tab.

Then click the box at Show characters.

This will show the password ***** the text box.

Another way is, press Windows and R keys at same time and this will bring Run window. Type ncpa.cpl and press enter. You will see the WiFi network adapter (with a Wireless icon). Right click on it and select Status. From the resulting window, click Wireless Properties button and click "Show Password" to see the password (under Security tab).

Once you get the password, do the steps below;

On your Kindle go to Settings > WiFi. You will see the list of WiFi networks there. Tap and hold down your WiFi network and tap Forget. Or tap the WiFi network and tap Forget. This step is important. Then reset your Kindle. To do that press and hold down (or slide) the Power button of Kindle for full 40 seconds and this will reset the Kindle.

Now turn off your router and unplug it for 2 minutes (this will soft reset it). After that turn it back on. Then on Kindle, go to Settings > WiFi. Select the WiFi network and enter the WiFi password ***** got from your laptop. Connect

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

How is it going ?

I did all of the above and the message continues to read...authentication problem

Then it is not the password. Is there any way you can test the Kindle on different WiFi network ?

This will tel whether the problem is with the Kindle or router and help us to move to right direction

You can connect it to your phone's WiFi network to test.

I am located out of town so this is the only network available

Can you share the phones's network to test ?

Are you speaking of my cell phone? I thought my cell phone was connected to the same network. so I don/t know what you mean

Yes. Most of all smartphones can share it's mobile network over WiFi. What is the model and make of your phone ?

Samsung galaxy 6

There is an option on your phone that allow you to share your phone's mobile network internet as WiFi. So you can connect the Kindle to your phone's WiFi network and see if it accepts it.

Refer this article --> http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/05/01/how-to-use-the-galaxy-s6-mobile-hotspot/

We're doing this to test if there is any issue with the Kindle's WiFi chip.

Thank you for your help but I do not want to use my phone as a hotspot. I want to connect to my home network. my son is also connected to the home network. I will ask him to check the password

Understood. It is for testing the Kindle's wifi chip. You only need to share the phone's WiFi temporarily. If your Kindle can connect to your phone's WiFi, that means the issue is with your home network and we can troubleshoot it.

Were you able to retrieve the correct WiFi password ***** your computer using my instructions
?

I also want you to try this. Turn off all devices that is connected to your network except your Kindle. Make sure only Kindle and the router is ON at this time. Then connect it to the WiFi with correct password.

I am now connected to my phone hotspot!!!

That means the Kindle has no issues. Your Kindle's WiFi chip is fine. You can disconnect from your phone network

done

The issue is with you home network router. How many devices are connected to router ?

5

Can you turn off some of those devices and connect to your Kindle to home network ?

Also did you retrieve the correct password ***** your computer ?

It is the same password ***** is on my sons laptop I will try turning off the other devises

Ok, let me know.

On the Kindle, go to Settings > WiFi. If you see your WiFi network there, tap and it will ask you to enter password. Do you see Forget or Forget Network there ?

I turned off all devises except kindle and router and entered password. still showing authentication problem

Can we do a remote screen share session, so I can connect to your computer and try to fix the router while you watch ? I will do this without any additional payment

OK what should I do

Follow the steps below to start secure remote support session.

You have to do this from your computer itself. On your computer, goto this website ---> www.fastsupport.com

In FastSupport website, you will see two text columns. Name and Support Key. Under Name, enter your name and under Support Key enter this code --- > 201578136

or click this link -> https://www.fastsupport.com/201578136

Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to connect. An application named Citrix Online Launcher will be downloaded Then open the Citrix Online Launcher file you see there and then open the Citrix Online Launcher application. Allow permission to connect if asked.

Let me know if you have any difficulty connecting to me.

I am now connected to the router with the cable

Reply to me on the chat box

Issue resolved via remote support.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day,

Issue resolved via remote support.

Have a great day,

Hi there, It's me Ashik again. How is it going ? Is your Kindle still working with your network properly now ? If everything is working, please take a moment to click Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) at the top and click the Submit button. Then only I will get paid for helping you. You will not be charged anything additional when you rate me.

I will not get paid for my efforts and time until you rate my services as Good or Excellent. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Have a great day,

Hello there, I hope everything is working OK for you. I'm writing this to let you know that you have not rated my service as OK Service or higher yet. Please note that I have not get paid anything for all the work I done for you yet. This website will not pay me until you click 4 or 5 starts at the top of this page and click green Submit button. Please don't forget to do that.

If you need any help, please let me know by replying in here. You can ask any questions even if you rate me as 4 or 5 stars. You will not be charged anything additional when you rate me. It is the only way I could get paid for all the efforts and help done for you.

Hope you understand.

Best Regards,

Ashik, PC Technician