Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a wireless router Netgear WNR1000v2. 4 computers

Customer Question
running windows 10. My network...
I have a wireless router Netgear WNR1000v2. 4 computers running windows 10. My network had been off and on. I don't have good network from computer to computer. My internet is fine. I updated the Router and now I have no wireless.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
2/23/2016
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 2 years ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Did the firmware update you did indicate that it was successful?

yes the filmware update was successful. The Internet is working and the new netgear login screen is there. It says that can see my plugged in devices but the wireless is off no matter what I do to the router. Do I need to reset, reboot?

Reset. On the back of the router, next to the internet port is a reset button.

Hold it down for about 6 seconds and release (with the router powered on)

When the power button goes to solid green, check if the router is now broadcasting.

Is the wi-fi light blue or blinking blue now?

wireless is working again but still limited network from computer to computer

Are these Windows machines?

Same version?

All window 10

Thanks. What is the message you get when trying to access a share?

Are they all in a Homegroup?

homegroup is available on all computer. I used to have it setup. I forget password ***** the computer that says it is the main just asks for password. That is why I am leaning towards network first. Anything to get them to connect. It seems that things started going worse after 10 was installed

You can do this. Click in the search area and type: identify and repair network problems

You'll see it at the top of the results.

That's a network troubleshooter.

If you've got one machine in a Homegroup but none of the others,

leave the Homegroup on that machine.

If the troubleshooter didn't provide any relief,
on each machine,
right-click the start menu button and select
Command Prompt (Admin)
At the blinking prompt in the black window type the following commands, pressing Enter after each
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
Restart the machine and check the network status.

came up and said no problems. Tried to get on homegroup from computer that the message states to get the password ***** and it doesn't let you on.

It sounds like one of the machines has a homegroup created. Windows is able to detect that on

the network. That's why the request for a password. On each machine, right-click the start button and open Control Panel.

Open Homegroup. If there is a homegroup on the machine you'll see the option to leave the homegroup.

Once you're sure none of the machines is in a homegroup

on each machine,
Command Prompt (Admin)
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns

I know this is kind of a pain since you've got 4 machines.

all computers just ask to join the homegroup. Your proccess won't delete or reset my machine will it?

No. These commands reset the networking protocols.

If something's been corrupted, it will fix it.

Can you tell me the specific error message you receive?

Also, there were three versions of your router. V1, V2 and V3. Which do you have?

It should be on the label.

v2. Is that Windows 10 compatible? I don't get any errors the network just isn't always accessible from different computers. Just the internet is always there.

Well, that's a pretty old router. Here's the Netgear data sheet:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR1000V2/wnr1000_ds_29jan09.pdf

If you look on the second page under System Requirements you'll

see the latest version of Windows listed is Vista. Vista and Win 7

were very similar so it should work fine with that but on a newer OS, it

doesn't appear that's the case. You may want to consider an upgrade.

Run the commands above and see if that makes a difference.

i got around to all computers and restarted. homegroup is available to start back up now. Not all computers show up on all computers network, I need to look into those settings.

In order for the computers to be visible each machine needs to have something shared,

like a My Documents folder or similar.

If you put all the machines in a homegroup you'll have the opportunity to select what you want to share.

Things were looking better. I am still getting same homegroup message that one exists. getting router tonight. work more on it tomorrow.

Shut down the machine that originally created the homegroup. Take a look at the article below.

http://tomlaforce.com/windows-10-home-group-problem-after-upgrade-from-windows-7/

This seams to be a fairly common problem after a Windows 10 upgrade. Start with

trying this simple fix first.