Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Have low internet connectivity windows xp desktop computer.

Customer Question
have low internet connectivity for...
have low internet connectivity for a windows xp desktop computer. Wifi is working fine but cannot log on to the internet though it says that I am connected to my service provider. Can someone remotely look at this computer for me? I've tried everything and nothing has worked.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
2/16/2016
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Without internet we cannot remote to the computer, but tell me please, what exactly are you trying to log into? Do you mean you have internet but you cannot access your email?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a desktop with Windows XP operating system. The internet connection says that it has low connectivity, and I cannot pull up any webpages, email, etc. on the desktop. However, the wifi connection is strong because I am able to connect on my laptop computer and cellphone.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says that it cannot repair the connection because the ip address cannot be renewed.

Thanks

Can you click start, Run type in CMD and press enter

Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the Laptop and check if it now has internet.

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. will do

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I restarted the computer. Still have low internet connection. Did a repair of the connection, got the following message: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address. For assistance contact the person who manages your network."

Thanks

Can you power off your wifi router, and power off the laptop and wait 5 minutes.

Power on the wifi router, wait 5 minutes, power on the Laptop and tell me if it then gets internet please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. Will try. Be back shortly. :)

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I am back!
It still did not work. I did a diagnostic report and this is what it said.Last diagnostic run time: 02/16/16 09:33:39
WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status
info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A
reset is needed.
info Redirecting user to support call
Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection
info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification
info
Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection 2, Device=Generic Marvell
Yukon Chipset based Ethernet Controller #2, MediaType=LAN,
SubMediaType=LAN
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status
info Network connection status: Connected
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or
address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or
address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or
address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or
address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or
address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or
address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could

ok, click start, run, type in

ncpa.cpl

Press enter

What do you see there listed as connections?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see the LAN connection with a yellow trinagle indicating limited or no connectivity symbol and a wizard option below to set up a new LAN connection and the Network Setup Wizard

ok, so there is no wireless connection listed? Just Lan?

this means then your connecting with a cable then

When did you lose connection?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About a week and half ago. I am able to connect to the wifi fine on my laptop and cell phone, but no luck with the desktop

The desktop does not have wifi, this is why

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore

Follow the onscreen steps and perform a restore choosing a restore point from when it is last working, so before a week and a half ago.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if it now connects please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello I see everything but system restore in that area. Any other possible location?

You may have moved it somewhere else, look in all the menus for it please, by default it is where I indicated but someone may have moved it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. will do thanks

Thank you

Richard, Network Specialist