Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Our Canon Pixma MX870 printer is not working and is sending…

Customer Question
Our Canon Pixma MX870 printer...
Our Canon Pixma MX870 printer is not working and is sending an 6A80 error; we have turned off the connections and restarted, to no avail. The ATT router lights are all on except the Broadband 2 and the USB light.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
2/16/2016
Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 2 years ago
Nathan, System Administrator

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This message indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is faulty (purge app motor failure). The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 6 year old model, that was built for a service life of 3 years.

At this point the printer is at double its designed lifespan and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I inadvertently posted this question twice and have a previous answer. Please make sure I'm not double-billed. Thank you.

I see that now as well, though I don't believe the prior answer will be of any help to you. You are billed based on the question that you rate.