Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

S regarding the Canon MF212w
, Just need to find a way…

Customer Question
Hi there, I'm Beatio...

Hi there, I'm Beatio It's regarding the Canon MF212w

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Just need to find a way to do a factory reset the menu function has gone mad

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
2/4/2016
Network Technician: GeekGal, Network Administrator replied 2 years ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator

My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. The Canon MF212w is a business class printer, meaning that reset info will not be in any of the publicly available user manuals, only in the private Service manual. You can get a copy of this by contacting Canon service and faxing them a copy of your purchase receipt. Fortunately, I have had to this on similar printers in this series and I can walk you through it.

Let's begin by Entering 'Menu' and then '#' - this gets you into Service Mode. You will then need to cycle through the menu to get to the service menu, then do copier - function - clear - all to fully reset the machine. Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification.

If this information is helpful to you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Dear GeekGal,
Thanks for the advice. I'm sorry to say it's not of much help as there is no reaction when I hit the Menu button -- as I said, it seems to have gone mad e.g. not responding (hitting some of the other function buttons prompts a slightly different variable of the same i.e. no reaction only turning the machine into Sleep mode.
/Beatio

May I ask what version of windows you have? Are you able to boot into safe mode by repeatedly pressing F12 as the computer is booting?

Sorry, I'm not on Windows. My computer is a MacBook Pro running on OS X Yosemite (version 10.10.5).

I apologize for that. I actually typed that in the wrong box. Getting back to your printer issue, I'm afraid that is we can't get it into Service mode, I won't be able to help. I am going to opt out and open this up to other experts in the hopes that someone else may have an alternate idea. Have a great day! I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help.

Not to worry, thanks.
Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 2 years ago
Nathan, System Administrator

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me how long you've had the printer for?
Have you tried accessing the web interface?

Hi Nathan, I've had that printer for a couple of months. I never accessed it via web but I had connected on the wifi and wireless printing was working just fine. That is, until the day we got a new wifi and when I was going to reconfigure the printer accordingly, this whole problem came up. It the printer works fine with a wire connection however it won't let me access the menu.

Thank you for the update, and my apologies for missing you, your reply didn't come through for some reason until now.

Plug it into the wired (ethernet) connection on your router, then look in your router configuration to determine the IP address of the printer (or look at it in the printer properties on your computer if it is identified there). Navigate to that address in your browser, and you'll reach the admin console, and see if you can access any of the settings there. If so, there is a factory reset/restore option there you can try.

Failing that, we are probably looking at a hardware fault, but would move on to a manual reset process next, if needed.

Let me know the results,

Thanks Nathan,
Sounds a little complicated for a non network technic***** *****ke me...
I'lll see what I can do.
/B

If you get stuck, or just want to move on to the next step, just let me know.