Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I just bought an AT&T MicroCell router and have spent a

Customer Question
whole day trying to connect...
I just bought an AT&T MicroCell router and have spent a whole day trying to connect it to my Netgear R6100 router and cannot do it. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
2/3/2016
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 2 years ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi Don. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. If you connect a PC or laptop to the micro cell

are you able to get an internet connection?

Has the micro cell been activated?

Take a look at the setup guide: https://www.att.com/att/microcell/downloads/ATT_MicroCell_UserManual.pdf

I have a pc connected (wireless) to the router. (I am using it now). I have a wireless printer connected to the router and that works too. I have the Microcell wired with an Ethernet cable to the router. ATT says it should be working as I've done all their stuff correctly. Still cannot get the Network light on the Microcell to stop flashing.
Hello?
Okay. This is not working. I am sitting here waiting for answers that are not coming. Please cancel this whole thing and destroy my credit card info. Donald Manseau
You answered my question but this does not come close to solving this problem. I have an internet connection and have read the manual but I cannot get the Microcell to activate. I spent one hour online with ATT support yesterday and they said I had done everything correctly and would get it activated within 90 minutes. So far, 24 hours later nothing has happened. No activation. Apparently this might be more than just what ATT can help me with. I'm guessing this might have something to do with my router or modem. I'm using a Netgear CM400 router. Any thoughts?

Hi. A CM400 is a cable modem. I'm assuming it's connected to the Internet port of the 6100 via ethernet cable and you have

your computer, printer and wireless devices connecting to the internet through the 6100. How am I doing so far?

That is all correct. Yesterday, ATT tech person guaranteed me 101% that it would work. So everything seems to be OK at their end. I assume that the problem is here at my end, but I am not really computer literate. Just slightly, only enough to connect things, but this is a stumper for me.

Ok. And the micro cell is sitting by a window with an unobstructed view of a clear sky? Those things need

to be able to connect to the GPS satellites.

I've done all that and am getting a solid green GPS light which indicates it is locked on to the satellites.

That's sounds good. Have you been here: http://www.att.com/att/microcell/?activate

I have done all those things over and over. ATT says everything is in order. All the wires are properly connected and I have read the manual and watched videos on how to set these up. Nothing has worked. This needs professional help which is why I came here. You're going to have to go deeper than "is it turned on?"
I did see something online about somebody with the same problem and they talked about it maybe being a problem with a firewall not letting things through. But that's is beyond my capabilities.

If you get prompted for a username/password

use admin/password ***** get in.

I've already checked that. It does show it as a client.

It looks like the router needs to be set to forward ports

UDP 123

UDP 4500

UDP 500

and

TCP 443

to the microcell IP address

Okay. How do I do that?

From Netgear Genie, look in the Router Settings section

There should be a section to set that up.

Do you need me to connect to your computer?

Give me a couple minutes to try that myself.

Certainly. Make sure to Save/Apply the changes.

Not doing well with that. Can you connect to my computer and do that for me?

Ok. Give me a couple of minutes to set up the connection.

okay

From your computer, please click the link below. When the page opens click the green I Agree button and the connection download will begin. When the file has downloaded (Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client) select Run or Open. If Windows asks, Allow changes to be made. When the file has loaded we should be connected.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=ec11dce0-05ad-4c2e-bfa4-638c81a1af8d#

Click the start button and in the search area type: downloads

Open the Downloads folder from the search results at the top.

In the Downloads folder look for a file called: Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client

Right-click on it and select Open or Run

The download did not work. I tried several times and got an "application did not succeed" message.

Go to www.teamviewer.com

Download Teamviewer 11 and install it for personal/non-commercial use.

When the program starts it will give you two sets of numbers.

Your ID and Password

Send me those numbers and I'll be able to connect to you.

ID is 195 876 062 Password ***** *****

Thanks

The program needs to stay open. Start it up again.

It may or may not give you a new password.

It's OK to minimize the program but don't close it.

okay. only the password ***** Now it is 6412
I have googled this and came up with this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsVfFuyf4d0
It gives all the settings but I don't know how to set them in.

HI. I just got back. Let me take a look.

What's your new teamviewer password?

Welcome back. Bet you're really happy to be back.

I am.

Did Teamviewer give you a new password?

Let me get back on it and see
195 876 062 new password ***** *****

You need to leave the program open.

You may have a different password

OK. I thought I had. 6067 is the new password.

I found this interesting: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/41287-42-netgear-3700-port-forwarding

This guy is using a different model Netgear but he's trying to forward port 123 for a Vodaphone device

that is the equivalent of a microcell.