Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have bought a new QNAP TS-451 device. When I first

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is***** have bought a new QNAP TS-451 device. When I first connected the device by Ethernet cable to my Netcomm router it recognised it but said the lease had expired. Now the router does not recognise the QNAP device at all. The port light does not flash when connected. However the router does recognise the wireless devices connected to it. Also the router will connect to the computer by Ethernet cable and the computer will connect to the QNAP device by Ethernet cable using the same port as I tried to connect the Qnap device to the router. I have also tried all ports of the router without success. Any thoughts on how I can connect the QNAP device to the router?

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have tried to put as much detail in my previous message for you.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
1/31/2016
Network Technician: Pete, Networking Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Networking Engineer

Hi Matt,

If you haven't already done so, try connecting the NAS device to the router using an ethernet cable, then restart the router.

Let me know if the port light on the router starts flashing after it has been rebooted...

Hi Pete
The port light doesn't flash when rebooted. However it does flash when I connect an Ethernet cable to the computer from the router. The Ethernet port at the back of the Qnap device flashes orange.

The flashing is an indication that data is being transferred, so it is normal for the light to flash when the computer is connected.

A better test would be to try to ping the IP address of the NAS when it is connected to the router - can you try that?

I am not sure exactly how to do this. However, the device is not in the dhcp table in the router settings so I am not sure what the IP address is to ping. Can you provide some instructions.

Are you using a Windows PC or a Mac?

Windows 10 on PC. I can go to the command prompt and ping but I am not sure of the IP address.

If you don't know the IP address then try pinging the Host Name (normally printed on the NAS) and the command prompt replies will show you the IP address.

I can't find the host name. There are MAC addresses and a serial number but that is it. Any other places I can find this?

With the NAS connected to the computer, can you access its settings page?

I am just connecting now.

Let me know if it shows the IP address there?

I now have an unrelated windows problem and cant access settings. However in the TCP/IP settings when I previously had access it would not automatically detect an ip address but did briefly detect a subnet. I will try again tomorrow when I return from work and let you know as I cant access the settings page at the moment!

Ok, we can continue tomorrow.

Pete.

Hi PeteI can now access the settings for my QNAP. The Ethernet 1 cable has no IP address shown but does have a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.Is there anywhere in particular I should look at to find the IP address of the device on the router?
A further update. I still do not have an IP address listed in the NAS settings for the Ethernet cable and the NAS tells me that the system has detected that your DNS server cannot resolve hosts. However the router settings now identify the NAS as being on IP address 192.168.1.6. The lease is always either expired or will only last for 60 seconds. However the device is unreachable when I try to ping the IP address.

Do you have anything stored on the NAS yet?

If not, could you try a complete system reset on it?

I don't have anything installed on it except 1 movie.I did do a complete system reset yesterday just before I asked the question on this site but it didn't work. Shall I try it again anyway?
I am doing a reset now. Just one thing ... when I shutdown the device the router port light is on for the portal connected to the device. When I turn on the device it goes off.
The NAS has now reset. The problem hasn't fixed itself. The lease time has expired on the router.

Ok, I will check if the other experts have any further idea on how to proceed with this...

Pete, Networking Engineer