Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a netgear N900 installed at our office and the speed…

Customer Question
I have a netgear...

I have a netgear N900 installed at our office and the speed of the internet changes drastically throughout the day. It will almost come to a stand still... We have TWC for the provider and I just recently increased the speed to see if it would help, but we still have the same problem.

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The speed directly from the TWC modem is great, but it varies drastically when I test it throughout the day. We usually only have about 5-6 users connected at one time. The TWC modem is in bridge mode and we also have our phone system connected here, but we rarely use our office phones. I recently updated the firmware to see if it would improve the speed.

Technician's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Networking Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
1/19/2016
Network Technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 2 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****

Please tell me if you connect to the Netgear N900 router using a wired or wireless connection.

Thanks,

We use the wireless connection to connect.

Hello again!

Thanks for the information! For testing purposes, please connect one or more computers to the Netgear N900 router using an Ethernet cable and then check the connection speed. If it works fine, but only slows down on wireless connection, then you will need to change the wireless network channel in the router settings. It should solve the problem. Most routers use the 6th channel, and if there are other routers nearby that use the same channel, the connection speed of your wireless network might slow down.

The weird thing is that we are actually getting better speeds on the wireless network vs. connecting directly to the router. Could this be a problem with the modem from TWC? One test with show like 8mbps and the restest will be 27mbps... This is with only two computers connected right next to the routers. I connected an ethernet cable to the TWC modem and was not able to get it to connect to the internet.

Hello!

Based on the information you provided here, it seems that the cause of the problem is in the TWC modem. For that reason, I suggest resetting its settings to factory default. After the reset, the modem should work in routing mode, which means you will get Internet access when you connect a computer to its LAN port. If you need to configure it to work in bridge mode, you can do that afterwards.

Let me know the results after the factory reset.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Did the factory reset help solve the problem?