Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Wifi just stopped working on non secured wifi connections.

Customer Question
It's okay on Comcast secured...
wifi just stopped working on non secured wifi connections. It's okay on Comcast secured but not on Comcast hotspots or any other wifi connect. This laptop is 4 weeks old. I bought this laptop because the same thing happened to my two year old Dell
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Networking
1/14/2016
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 1 year ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician

I am the person that will be helping you today.

What occurs when you attempt to connect to an unsecured signal?

I will be standing by.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No open Internet. That's the message

It says "No Open Internet"?

Please, give me a bit more information.

1) Are you able to connect to the signal?

2) What kind of signals are you connecting to? Do they require any sort of captive portal authentication?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Office wifi, local merchant wifi, etc. Instead of connecting immediately it spins and after 1-2 minutes it says NO OPEN INTERNET

May I ask which version of Windows or Mac OS are running on the problem computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10. This laptop is 4 weeks old. The same thing happened to my Dell laptop one month ago

Thank you for the update.
Please, do the following:

It sounds as though the network adapter is faulting. One way to fix this is to simply 'uninstall' the network adapter from the device manager and allow the computer to reinstall it.

Please, follow the instructions below:
- Hold down the two following keys at the same time: Windows key and the letter R
- In the box that comes up, type: devmgmt.msc
- Click the Ok button.
- Click the plus sign next to Network Adapters
- Right click the Wireless Network Adapter.
- Choose Uninstall. Uninstall Device.
- Right click another item in the list and choose "Scan for Hardware Changes"
- Choose to automatically install the device (click next > next > Finish)

Once that is complete, please check if you can now connect to unsecured networks.

I will be standing by.

A phone call will not help at all. Would you prefer me remoting into your system and solving it that way?

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer