Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I'm having an issue accessing my public IP remotely, that is

Customer Question
Customer: Hey Mike, I'm having...
Customer: Hey Mike, I'm having an issue accessing my public IP remotely, that is resulting me not be able to access Plex Media Server remotely
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Networking
1/8/2016
Network Technician: Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant replied 2 years ago
Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant

You have a static IP address? On the Mac go here: http://whatismyipaddress.com

What is the IP Address listed?

No, I do not have static IP address unfortunately...I'm getting "93.87.122.1" IP address...

OK and you tried that IP ?

of course :) I tried to test port at www.canyouseeme.org with no luck, also I simply tried connecting it as new server in finder while outside of my home network, no luck

I port scanned it nothing

What do you mean?

I scanned it from here there are no open ports. If you go here on the Mac does it open the server?

http://127.0.0.1:32400/web

Yeah, I know, there is something wrong there and I can't figure out what... Yes, that link opens plex web app...
One thing I notice is that http://127.0.0.1:32400/web will open web app but http://10.0.1.7:32400/web will as well, because that is what I reserved my local IP address for iMac and I port forwarded 32400 to that http://10.0.1.7:32400/web address

Make sure you have System Preferences / Network set to Manual settings with that IP address etc... also restart the Airport router

Yes did you restart the Airport router?

I did...

If you open your Network Utility (/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Network Utility.app) and try pinging that IP address it gets 100% packet loss so that IP address is not accessible.

I tried both internal and external, internal got 0% packet loss and external got 100%, what should I do? Thanks

I would reset your Airport router to factory settings then set it up again.

Ok, I'll try to do that and let you know what happened...

Ok I have mine connected directly not by WiFi and I think that will get you better results too

Make sure it is a Factory Reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

Hm, no, that did not help, seems like there might be problem with public ip, how can we test that?

I assume it changes what is it now? Also who is you internet provider?

Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant