Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a network printer that has a fixed IP within my

Customer Question

I have a network printer that has a fixed IP within my network. I have port forwarded it to Port 631. I also have a static IP address for my internet connection.
However, when I try to set up my workplace computer to print to IP XX.XX.XX.XX:631
it doesn't seem to work.
Is there something that I am missing? Thank you.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, i'm Tim and will assist you.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

You are missing something, in order to print remotely, or use any service you need to set up port forwarding

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did. I port forwarded the IP address of my printer to port 631. Is there another forwarding I must do?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

how do you know its using port 631?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Printer ports are NOT standard across the board, where did you come up with that port?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

I guess that is one, one of many. Is the printer connected to something acting as a print server? What kind of printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its a brother printer connected to a Comcast router.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

What model?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

Anyways, once you confirm the port that model uses, all you need to do is what you stated you did, port forward. Make sure your printer can act as a printer server - Just because it is networked does not mean it is.

Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.

They make plenty of servers with network ability that are not print servers, it needs to have that logic.