Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I'm setting up internet at new location. ISP is comcast.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, Daniel. I'm Eliot. I'm setting up internet at new location. ISP is comcast. Modem is Surfboard 6190. Modem is connecting well. Ethernet from modem works well. Ethernet connected to Airport extreme. Ethernet from Airport Extreme works well but WIFI from airport extreme is not working. I can connect to the Airport Extreme via wifi, but can't see internet via wifi.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with wifi. i can connect to the airport extreme but not the internet. Network settings show green wifi, wifi settings, network settings and IPS, but red on internet and server. But when I plug in the ethernet cable between the airport extreme and the laptop, all buttons show green and i can connect fine.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I understand that WiFi as opposed to Ethernet connections from laptop to Airport Extreme produce a lack of internet or server connection.

But that the problem is not owing to lack of connection by way of the WiFi encryption key or 'passphrase' (also known as 'wireless password'). The WiFi connection to the AirPort Extreme is made without problems.

Three possible things:

1. the Airport Extreme is configured to block all connections but a few, by MAC address. Log into its setup and check on such WiFi security measures.

2. the Airport Extreme isn't actually being connected to ??? in which case, what you connect to by WiFi may be some other WiFi box, that is not connected to internet at all. (This is unlikely - but check that you are actually connecting to the correct SSID, and the one SSID of its kind within WiFi scanning range.)

You could make sure of this by setting a different wireless passphrase on the Airport Extreme, and then connecting to it by WiFi with that new passphrase. If there was a wrong-SSID-connecting going on, that would make sure that it could not work, and only the right WiFi box or Airport box could be connected to.

3. your Airport Extreme might perhaps be defective. Not being able to deliver internet through WiFi connection in this manner is a rarer malfunction, but could happen.

Of course, try a total reset of the Airport Extreme, by holding down its reset button for 40+ seconds continuously. Then see if WiFi Internet connection works. If it still doesn't, you have a defective Airport Extreme, it seems.